Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any Harmony One owners on tha' bier web?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4735 Times on 4375 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Any Harmony One owners on tha' bier web?

Been goofing around with mine getting it set-up and so far it's awesome. Haven't been able to play with it as I don;t have the room for the system set-up yet, thus neither are the components but, the capabilities of this remote are astounding.

While tweaking I realized taht I hadn;t used my system in so lon that I forgot what functions were available on the OEM remotes so I had to dig them out. Then I had to think about which ones I actually use so that my Harmony won't be cluttered with a bunch of useless crap.

So what is your experience?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm assuming that since I don't know what you're talking about...I don't have one?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
FairbanksBrewinNoob
Recipes 

I have a harmony 520, that I am trying to set up to be easy to use for my dad. Remotes pretty much completely puzzle him, and this is the simplest one i've seen so far, although Im still going to to have to make a cheat sheet for him

How do you like the Harmony one? Want to trade it for a harmony 520 and some homebrew ?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would love to get a harmony one, but there is no RF support. I have a harmony 890 to control my theater and it works great. The macros are awesome. I no longer have to tell my wife how to turn everything on to watch a DVD or watch TV.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairbanksBrewinNoob View Post
I have a harmony 520, that I am trying to set up to be easy to use for my dad. Remotes pretty much completely puzzle him, and this is the simplest one i've seen so far, although Im still going to to have to make a cheat sheet for him

How do you like the Harmony one? Want to trade it for a harmony 520 and some homebrew ?
Tempting

But No!

I have sold and set-up a ton of 560's and 880's (basic set-up) but have not yet had the chance to use my One. So far, I am astounded at what is possible with it. My only dissapointment is that if I want it to control my light and fan I will nee an IR to RF converter. I may just do that tho'.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a Harmony 720 (I think, it's from Costco) and it works great with my Sony TV, Time Warner HD box, and Panasonic 5.1 Sound & DVD except when the kids are around. They can screw it up faster than you can pop a beer.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkatuw View Post
I would love to get a harmony one, but there is no RF support. I have a harmony 890 to control my theater and it works great. The macros are awesome. I no longer have to tell my wife how to turn everything on to watch a DVD or watch TV.
Are your components in another room or behind closed doors?

Not as ideal as an RF remote but there are IR>RF / RF>IR transmitters receivers available. I am looking into one of these to see if the transmitter can be used to control my RF ceiling fan and light. Doubt it tho'. Most likely on different frequencies. Or a different signal set.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Are your components in another room or behind closed doors?
Yes, my components are in a closet in the back of the room. Only the projector is component controlled by IR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Not as ideal as an RF remote but there are IR>RF / RF>IR transmitters receivers available. I am looking into one of these to see if the transmitter can be used to control my RF ceiling fan and light. Doubt it tho'. Most likely on different frequencies. Or a different signal set.
The 890 does the first part of the bolded text and it comes with a dongle that does the RF>IR (the dongle is in my equipment closet). So really I guess the 890 prevents me from having and IR sensor at the front of my room.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a 880 and love it. The only issue I have is an issue with my tv not having discrete input codes for the inputs and Logitech even came up with a method to work around that.

Top notch in my book.

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #10
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have the Harmony 670 and wouldn't go back to a table of remote controls for the world.

Quick Reply