Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any Guitar Players? Beginner's Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
Darth Konvel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Any Guitar Players? Beginner's Question

I could have sworn I saw at least one or two folks on here that play guitar. Anyone?

I've been wanting to learn for a while, and finally found a used electric guitar that I could learn on without out much cash. Being used though, some of the strings can stand replacing. Anyone have any suggestions on types of strings? She's a Fender Strat if it makes a difference. There seems to be some variation of both material and guage size.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I played a little bit of guitar in high school, although I mostly played bass. Since you're just learning, the particular brand of strings will be of little consequence. 99% of it is personal preference, IMHO, I know that there are some technical differences between types of strings, some could be judged to be objectively "better" than others and whathaveyou but they are not going to be noticable when you are starting out.

Much more important than the strings are having someone teach you how to tune properly.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
MrBeerCommunity
Recipes 

Hey man,

Good luck with the guitar thing. I've been on the road for years playing the drums and now run a small recording studio in the midwest. If I can make a suggestion for you, it might get you the most bang for your buck. Get one of the Variaxe's made by Line 6. You can probably pick one up at Sweetwater.com The reason I suggest this is because they have amp simulators built in which enables a huge pallet of tone options. You can play the guitar directly from headphones or plug it in to your computer or stereo system without having to dump hundreds of dollars in to an amp. Once you get it down you can also purchase other amp simulators from line 6 to diversify your tone options.

Hope that helps

Happy Brewing
MR Beer Community Webmaster
http://www.MrBeerCommunity.com

Old 07-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just go to your local guitar store and ask them for some medium gauge electric strings and let them pick something out for you. It should work fine.

Lighter gauge are better for more lead guitar type stuff (better bend, easier to fret) and heavier gauge are better for rhythm guitar or heavy metal. Medium is a nice intermediary for someone who's learning and might want to try out a little of everything. I personally use mediums anyway since I don't do much lead guitar stuff and I don't need a heavier gauge to get a real heavy metal type of feel.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can concur with everyone's input, but I have more to add.

I've been playing guitar for 35 years. I've been in a number of bands in several states and have played in bars as a side job in college.

I can honestly tell you that you should go get your guitar set up by a professional (music store). Ask to see the person who will be setting it up so you can talk to him/her. Tell them what type of music you are interested in. This will determine the type of set up (low, medium action) and best strings for your application (light gage for bending, medium for overall, heavier for blues, etc). Heavier gaged strings are difficult to bend and may require you getting a new nut or your old one cut. These are important decisions because if you convert back to light strings you will have to get a new nut cut for your neck.

I have 3 Strats and a '76 Telecaster Deluxe, electric/acoustic, 4 amps and and sh*t-load of effects.

Send me an email tonight and I'll send a lot of info on learning, playing and set-ups for the Strat.

Same goes for anyone else...

homebrewer_99@yahoo.com

Old 07-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
Axegod
Recipes 

I agree with all the above.
Heavier/thinger gauged strings have a warmer, fuller sound and are a little harder to play at first..also they will not give you that "lead" playing sound on the
thinest strings.
As homebrewer 99 said, ask the guitar dude at the store and tell him the style you want to learn.
I played in a punk band for a few years, and didn't even bother with the 2 smallest strings..I went with four..no kidding. I went with a really low, fast action setting.
You may also want to consider getting an electric tuner for about $30...no point in wasting time/frustration in struggling to tune the thing. You will eventually learn how to tune by ear.

Best of luck !
(Ibanez les paul copy 60s/70s -the ones i think they got sued over).

On Order: nothing at all..for a few months
Thinking about: Plisner malt and saaz hops
Drinking:

Old 07-13-2006, 01:43 AM   #7
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Throw the strat in the garbage, then get yourself a les paul, or SG, or flying v, or a tele. Then put some 9's or 10's on there and your done.

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 07-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeerCommunity
The reason I suggest this is because they have amp simulators built in which enables a huge pallet of tone options.
Actually, the Variaxe has guitar simulators (called models) not amp models. I'm a purist and don't dig them but that's just me. They're pretty fun to play around on.
As far as strings go, at this point, you can get the cheapest ones you can find. Find a favorite brand a bit later. Rock on!

Oh, and you should chuck that Strat, but don't get a Gibson, everyone knows PRS is where it's at!

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One of my amps is a Line 6 Vetta Combo. It has 128 memory banks of different amp emulations as well as 60+ effects built-in. The pedal for the thing cost me $400.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:58 AM   #10
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
The pedal for the thing cost me $400.
Man, you should have put that $400 towards a Mesa Road King! I thought I knew you...

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Quick Reply