Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any golden retriever owners here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
lex990
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Any golden retriever owners here

My ****zu is getting older and just lays around all day. He seems to really enjoy the company of other dogs. I found some golden retriever pups close by and have always wanted a bigger sporting breed to take to the river and runs and such. Just thought I would ask the brewing community what they thought

Honey... I'm just going out for a like an hour. We are only going to drink one or two and head home... I promise ;).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 12

We had a Golden and all I can say is that he was the best dog I ever owned,you will not be dissappointed if you get one. Train them young and you will see that they are one of the samtest most loyal dogs in the world.

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Old 12-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4954 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

I love goldens! They are wonderful dogs. They are puppies until about two years old, though! The females tend to be smaller, and some male goldens can be huge. I have a lab now, as they have very similiar dispositions but no work on the coat. Goldens have a beautiful coat, but pick up burrs and stuff in their coats all the time. They can also have problems with their ears, partly because they love the water and will swim in a puddle if they can find one!

As long as you have plenty of room for them to run, and can walk them at least once a day, you'll be happy with a golden retriever. They tend to get a bit lazy with age, but still need walking and someone to toss a ball for them because they tend to get heavy (like us, I guess).

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
lex990
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

They have one female left. Was hoping for a male so I could call him Winchester Chester for short. Lol yeah I can be a redneck at times. We shall see. Waitin on pics

Honey... I'm just going out for a like an hour. We are only going to drink one or two and head home... I promise ;).

Old 12-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
dienster
Recipes 

Ours is 9 years old and still a puppy. Great dog but sheds an insane amount of hair. Don't have wood floors with anything over 15-20 lbs or you'll have scratches everywhere.

Also check the lineage to make sure that they don't have issues with hip displasia or knee problems. Ours blew both MCLs which was about a $2k surgery EACH and that was with my wife being a vet and getting a professional discount.

Any pure bred will have inbreeding issues so just make sure you know what you are getting into. Maybe talk to your vet about what you want and the major issues s/he sees or knows about with that breed.

- Steve

Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
Wus67
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

I've got a 6 year old golden puppy. Best dog I've had. He's got the personality of a teenager, show him some attention and he's the happiest dog, but if you don't acknowledge him every few minutes he gets all mopey and depressed. He's absolutely AWESOME with my two little boys, allowing them to manhandle him without any adverse reaction. And as for a gun dog, couldn't ask for any better. The first time he experienced the sound of a shot he was standing next to me as I squeezed off a round from a .45-70 I fully expected him to run and hide, all he did was sit down, look up at me, and give me the look like "that's it?". I love that dog, and will totally get another when my current one retires to the happy hunting grounds. Would totally recommend.

“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

Old 12-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
rokipynes
Recipes 

We currently share our lives with 4 plus a Newfie. We have had 2 prior to these 4 along with several we have rescued and found forever homes for. This is as good a breed as any for a family dog as long as they are trained right from the start. They love to serve their owners and this is a plus to use for training. One caveat is that they loose their brains on the day of their 6 month birthday and don't start to get them back for a few years. Untrained, they can be a difficult breed as any. They can be hyper if allowed to be, pull badly on lead,and need early socialization. As mentioned above they shed heavily year round and horribly twice a year in the more extreme climates.

They get along great with children as long as the people manage both the children and dogs well. SWMBO did not fall in love with the breed right away when we rescued the first two but I'm not sure this house will be without a Golden as long as we can share our lives with them.

Doug Smith
Hearts Harbor Rescue

Old 12-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
lowtones84
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Not that I owned one, but the golden retriever we had when I was in middle school and high school was the best dog ever. Surprisingly he wasn't too interested in retrieving ducks, but man did he love people. He was very laid back after a couple of years until company came to the door, and then he would be very excited. The only drawback with that was sometimes he didn't know his own size and strength and some people and children would be slightly intimidated at first. He also always wanted to play with other dogs, which some dogs and owners weren't too thrilled about since he was quite large.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2449 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

Goldens are great! They have high maintenance hair, and sometime health problems (ours died at around age 8 due to a uterus infection, but hips are pretty common, as most pure breed dogs have health issues).

They are almost always VERY loving and loyal, fairly easy to train, and love to fetch, swim, etc.

Our female never outgrew her puppy stage, although she did stop chewing. She was just a big klutz.

I'd probably get one again, but man the hair is work! Our yellow lab is also loving and plays fetch etc, and doesn't have the hair "problem".

Old 12-06-2011, 03:23 AM   #10
lex990
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

How long did it take to potty train all your pups

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS