The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any Excel genuises out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
RIBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any Excel genuises out there?

I keep track of my student's assignment deadlines using an Excel sheet. I use a separate worksheet for each student. Adding deadlines is a rely time consuming process, as I need to insert space, then copy and paste the assignment for each kid. Is there a more efficient way to do this? Say, insert a new entry in the line after a certain date for each worksheet at the same time? Thanks for your input!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

There is definitely a more efficient way to do this. Can you post a picture of an example worksheet?... or at least describe the columns/rows in more detail?

END TRANSMISSION

Old 09-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, if you attach your file people here can probably figure it out. I'm no Excel genius, but I do have some experience (though I still discover new things all the time!).

Old 09-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I believe this may be what you're looking for,

Learn Paste Link function in Excel

Old 09-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
roverlandpark
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukdizzle View Post
I believe this may be what you're looking for,

Learn Paste Link function in Excel
This is probably the easiest way to get the data over. It basically creates a reference from one page to another. Two things I would recommend when using this approach would be:
  • Make sure what you copy has room for future expansion. If you have ten assignments now (but will eventually have twenty later), include those cells that will have the future data. Otherwise, you'll be in the same boat later.
  • Also, if you have the references going to empty fields, you'll get zeroes populating your students' worksheets. To hide these, go to the toolbar and select "Tools->Options". Under the view tab, uncheck "View Zero Values"

Hope this helps!

Old 09-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
velotech
Recipes 

If the deadline is the same for each student, then linking the cell from one sheet would be easier/quicker. Other options would be changing the spreadsheet from one sheet per student, to one sheet per assignment, then copying the students to each assignment spreadsheet.

Overall, this sounds like something Access would handle much better. I know its more complicated to learn than Excel, but picking up a few tutorials online can make this type of tracking much easier.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Oh man, I hate links in spreadsheets that reference other workbooks. It is just asking for trouble later on.

I think the initial description needs to be fleshed out more instead of making assumptions about what is being described. The Paste Link feature sounds like overkill to me, as well as setting up stuff in advance and all that kind of crap. There is usually very little reason to have to set up extra spaces in advance in Excel, when you can easily use the "Insert" command to insert rows or columns when needed.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
KYUSHO00
Recipes 

If it is one workbook and all the tabs are similar it is easy.

Hold control and click on each sheet you need to update. (or click on the first tab hold shift and click on the ending tab)
Then while the tabs are white(highlighted) do what you need to do in the one sheet and it should show in all of the sheets that are selected.

I do this for a salesperson tracker that I do every month.

Excel is my job.
I love pivot tables, v/h lookups, ect.

Quick Reply