*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any environmental scientists out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 681 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 404

@Mogwai

I'm an environmental scientist for ARCADIS in North Carolina but also worked in New York for a few years. My work is primarily managing sites with soil and groundwater remediation from petroleum and solvent releases.

There is really no nice way to say this, but a degree in environmental science (whether it's a masters or an undergraduate) isn't going to get you very fair in private industry. To really advance in this industry you need a means to obtain a Professional Geologist (PG) or Professional Engineer (PE) license. Many states are either at or moving towards making this license a requirement for sealing reports to state and federal environmental agencies for review.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
BoomerHarley
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I disagree. I'm a fisheries biologist for URS. While having a PG or PE will definitely help, depending on his focus and background, it's not necessary. I think the best thing he can do is find a company to intern at. Work experience is always very valuable, more so than any registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
@Mogwai

I'm an environmental scientist for ARCADIS in North Carolina but also worked in New York for a few years. My work is primarily managing sites with soil and groundwater remediation from petroleum and solvent releases.

There is really no nice way to say this, but a degree in environmental science (whether it's a masters or an undergraduate) isn't going to get you very fair in private industry. To really advance in this industry you need a means to obtain a Professional Geologist (PG) or Professional Engineer (PE) license. Many states are either at or moving towards making this license a requirement for sealing reports to state and federal environmental agencies for review.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Mogwai
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you all for the great suggestions and replies. Luckily I have a few more months to decide on a research topic, but I'll start looking soon to see what is out there.

I think I'll drop alternative energy and instead focus on either remediation or sustainability issues.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 681 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerHarley View Post
I disagree. I'm a fisheries biologist for URS. While having a PG or PE will definitely help, depending on his focus and background, it's not necessary. I think the best thing he can do is find a company to intern at. Work experience is always very valuable, more so than any registration.
A degree in environmental science (I have my undergrad in biology) will qualify him for certain (entry to mid-level) positions in the industry, but it will not particularly help him with one of his fields of interest (remediation). Yes, internships and work experience are helpful, but a PE or a PG stamp will open a whole bunch of doors for him in the future. There is only so far you can go without the engineering or geology background, at least with remediation.

Also, having been through a layoff at my last company, the company chose to keep their PE's and PG's and no issues getting rid of all the entry to mid-level staff. Those who had EITs or GITs were kept on or offered relocation opportunities. I was told off the record that management in the company knew that they could always hire more environmental science/biology grads when their business rebounded.

My recommendation Mogwai is to find out what the requirements to sit for either exam are in the state you want to work in (if they even require it) and take a few engineering or geology classes to meet their requirements. Working full-time and taking engineering classes is no fun, believe me that's my life right now.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Wouldn't collecting rainwater from house roofs do damage to the local environment? Seems like it shoudl be going back into the ground...
Collected rain water would be going back into the ground, if it is used to water lawns and gardens, which would be my intended purpose. The local environment would benefit from having less runoff ending up downstream and less use of our drinking water supply for lawns, gardens, or whatever else that collected water is used for.

Quick Reply