Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any Competition Caller On The Forum?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
jtf3456
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Any Competition Caller On The Forum?

Are there any competition duck and/or goose callers here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
bb239605
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

When I first read this i thought that you meant any professional duck, duck, goose players. Upon further thought i realized you mean for hunting or just talking to water fowl.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
jtf3456
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb239605 View Post
When I first read this i thought that you meant any professional duck, duck, goose players. Upon further thought i realized you mean for hunting or just talking to water fowl.
Hahah nah. I'm a competition caller myself and was just wondering if there were any other callers here.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Maybe someday, but until then I'll stick with my decoys and little ponds/cornfields. All I do now when I try to call is scare them away.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
jtf3456
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lol. All I can say is practice practice practice and learn from someone really good. Waking up and getting out there is what counts but all the other things are very nice. I see your from New York. You hunt there?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

I haven't called any ducks myself yet, but I've been prank called by this little SOB claiming to be Donald Duck. I know it's really Daffy though.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtf3456 View Post
Lol. All I can say is practice practice practice and learn from someone really good. Waking up and getting out there is what counts but all the other things are very nice. I see your from New York. You hunt there?
I'm 4 hours north west of the city - near Syracuse. We actually have some excellent goose/duck hunting in our area, lots of water, cornfields, and accessible private/state land. I used to go to Colorado every winter to hunt geese, until we realized the hunting was better at home. Only thing we don't get is a lot of snow geese...

Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
jtf3456
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15

I'm 4 hours north west of the city - near Syracuse. We actually have some excellent goose/duck hunting in our area, lots of water, cornfields, and accessible private/state land. I used to go to Colorado every winter to hunt geese, until we realized the hunting was better at home. Only thing we don't get is a lot of snow geese...
Ah, interesting. I live in South Louisiana so I hunt in pretty much some of the best places that there are to hunt. I do most of my hunting in Gueydan, LA in a few different places, all private. I hunt alot with a hunting club and guide service and it's pretty much the best land in Gueydan for both duck and goose. I do some hunting in the marsh too which is really good hunting just alot of work to do it

Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ahhhhhhh, Lafayette! My home town.....Used to duck and goose hunt for years. Never got into the competition calling, but I was apparently pretty good with the speck call 'cuz I killed more than my.....errrrrrr, ummm EXACTLY my share for many seasons. Hunted the Gueydan area some, but mostly a little further west near Thornwell.

At that time, I was probably more obsessed with hunting than I have ever been about brewing. Got out of it due to family priorities for several years but my son is at the age where he wants to try it out, so I guess I'll be searching for a place to go next fall.

Added a shot of what hangs around just over my head at my office desk.

specklebelly.jpg  

Old 02-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
jtf3456
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidry
Ahhhhhhh, Lafayette! My home town.....Used to duck and goose hunt for years. Never got into the competition calling, but I was apparently pretty good with the speck call 'cuz I killed more than my.....errrrrrr, ummm EXACTLY my share for many seasons. Hunted the Gueydan area some, but mostly a little further west near Thornwell.

At that time, I was probably more obsessed with hunting than I have ever been about brewing. Got out of it due to family priorities for several years but my son is at the age where he wants to try it out, so I guess I'll be searching for a place to go next fall.

Added a shot of what hangs around just over my head at my office desk.
Thornwell is loaded with specks. And you could take him on a guided hunt if he just wants to try it since that'd be way cheaper than a lease, or you could go in the marsh if you have the right boat with the right setup.

Quick Reply