Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any business owners out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
Papinquack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any business owners out there?

I've been reading through the forums and alot of people are getting laid off and some are losing their jobs permanantly. My question to those who own businesses is: Are the layoffs we are experiencing due to real difficulties or are businesses just over reacting to the anxiety and fear the media constantly bombards us with? It seems that fear has generated the domino effect and we are heading to CREATING a REAL crisis. One thread had a poll on whether we are spending the same or not and the last time I checked a majority was spending as they normally did. I just cant help thinking that the American people are being set up. Whats your perspective?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own a landscaping business and I'm not feeling the recesion to much. My customers are a little more cranky that's all. Lucky I'm working in a town that has a lot of well to do. There also quite a bit of government work in these parts.

Ingredients waiting to be brewed: nothing
Primary:
Kegged: half of something from last Spring

Old 02-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

My business has seen a 75% drop in sales compared to last year at this time. I'd say it's real.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know a lot of people in construction and they are really feeling it. But construction is one of those things where peoples fears hit the hardest, if you think the economy is going down you're likely to put off the hundred G's kitchen renovation that you dont really need to survive anyway.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Eastside Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My business was down 75% in 2008 and I have'nt had a job yet this year, construction has come to a complete halt. I am looking for a job at the moment, too bad I can't make money making Beer!

Eastside

Old 02-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am in the mortgage business-
The media has scared the crap out of people. And people are willing to listen to anything they hear on the news,or read on the internet, and believe it. One of my clients quoted what she had read on a website- I questioned it, and she sent me the link. The poster stated that she had no experience with the topic, but her opinion was. I could not believe it.

I just got hired as a rep for a kitchen and bath manufacturer. It is about half the pay, but i want a steady income. I will be doing mortgages part time from here on out.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Man, I didn't know part time mortgage broker was so popular. I recently found out that two people I have connections with are in the part time mortgage business. How does that work? Obviously you arent lending people your own money..

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 02-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My brother in law just told me his two sons lost their Slacks Hoagie Shop buisness and owed 100K, had to claim bankrupcy. The couple years previous that they had it he told me they were doing a killer buisness. May be other factors, who knows.
I own and rent a shore (seaside) condo which just got some booking a couple weeks back but has slowed to nothing. Right now I have 1/2 the bookings I need, hopefully things will pick up again as I can't afford to pay the mortgage too long without that income. Value of the unit has dropped 60k, back to what I paid 4 years ago.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
AZROB
Recipes 

I own a manufacturing business (machine shop) doing mostly aerospace products and we actually put an ad in the paper had over 200 responses for the one job opening.
Not sure how many business's are going south due to the greed of the owners. alot of my friends who are owners as well have been living high on the hog with new Hummers and Planes seems they were the ones who are loosing it they have too many bills. live smart within your means and plan for the future everyone knew life could not go on as it was.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
silvervan83
Recipes 

I own a floor covering business. My gross receipts for 2007 came out to $148,000.
2008 was a dismal $36,500. I have had contractor with 25+ years experience call me begging to be a helper.

Quick Reply