Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any bicycle riders out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 03:39 AM   #61
snails
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

bikesdirect from my experience and others have probably the best quality for the cheapest price of new in box bicycles. you wont get the care/tune-ups as you would if you purchased at your LBS.

but when friends ask where to find a good bike for cheap, i'll tell them bikesdirect.
motobecane and other online brand bikes are really the same bikes but re-branded.. so going by brand isn't really too credible anymore. look for the materials that are put into a bike
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...3/Picture5.png

Last edited by snails; 07-23-2009 at 03:44 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #62
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Lucky enough to live in a town where I can ride everywhere, except the lumber yard...

I just found a 1960 Western Flyer with an original working light. Gonna fix that up as my cruiser. Pics to come!

Two-wheel human-powered keezer?!...

Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 AM   #63
BackBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It may already be posted in this thread, but I didn't see it in my quick peruse so I thought I would post the link below. This is a newly created cycling forum. It has been linked to on HBT in other places, but just in case anybody missed it I thought I would post the link here. Come by and check out TwoSpoke.

http://www.twospoke.com

Kegged: Empty :-(

Old 08-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #64
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thought I'd bump this thread, since I'm finally getting off my hump and researching bikes again. After a lot of consideration, I reevaluated what I wanted out of a bike - something to keep the legs moving in the off-season for general fitness and a commuter. A friend of mine who does a lot of cycling suggested a hybrid since I have 10-20 mile road loops in mind for my training rides, and it keeps extra equipment (i.e road bikes shoes) to a minimum. Perhaps at some stage, I'll look for a more serious road bike.

This one keeps catching my eye.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #65
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm getting ready to sell my 2nd car, and go full bike! I've been looking around for a better commuter than what I have currently. My current ride is a Gary Fisher Aquila hardtail MTB from 1996. I've put Specialized Nimbus road tires on it, and fenders but it just doesn't quite roll as smooth as a purpose-built road bike. Any recommendations for a road-inspired commuter bike?

Here's what's on my list so far:

1. Trek Soho (belt drive, nexus internal hub 8 speed shifter, roller brakes, 700c wheels, sexy) $1,150
Trek Bikes | Bikes | Urban | Soho

2. Gary Fisher Mendota (normal derailleurs, disc brakes, aluminum frame, 700c wheels) $1,150
Mendota | Gary Fisher Bicycles

3. Specialized Sirrus Comp: $1,000
Specialized Bicycle Components : Sirrus Comp

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 08-28-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #66
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
Thought I'd bump this thread, since I'm finally getting off my hump and researching bikes again. After a lot of consideration, I reevaluated what I wanted out of a bike - something to keep the legs moving in the off-season for general fitness and a commuter. A friend of mine who does a lot of cycling suggested a hybrid since I have 10-20 mile road loops in mind for my training rides, and it keeps extra equipment (i.e road bikes shoes) to a minimum. Perhaps at some stage, I'll look for a more serious road bike.

This one keeps catching my eye.
Jason, while the shocks on the seat post and the front fork may provide comfort, I don't think I'd want them on a training bike. You lose some energy to the back tire from shock absorption.

Check this out. This might be more than you're looking for, but you'll be much happier with it or something similar on 20+ mile training rides.

You don't need anything fancy, but you're too young to go all granny suspension on us.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #67
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Going riding at Browns Camp today if anyone is interested.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #68
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass_Gnome View Post
Jason, while the shocks on the seat post and the front fork may provide comfort, I don't think I'd want them on a training bike. You lose some energy to the back tire from shock absorption.

Check this out. This might be more than you're looking for, but you'll be much happier with it or something similar on 20+ mile training rides.

You don't need anything fancy, but you're too young to go all granny suspension on us.
I would not bother with any suspension on a road bike. If you are in good enough shape to ride 20 miles, that stuff is just gonna slow you down. Look into one of the flat bar 'city bikes' if you don't wanna go the 'full team kit/drop bar/race bike' route. That Trek linked above is nice, but there are lots of off brand bikes that are comparable and much cheaper.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #69
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for pointing out the Trek, John! I found a local dealer with a number of Trek models in stock, think I'll head over later today and check them out. The 7000 is right in my price range, too.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #70
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You're welcome. The above poster is correct. There are some other brands of "city bikes" available which are less expensive. The trek was the first that came up in a google search. I'd make sure I got quality components; shifters, brakes, rims, etc....before I purchased strictly on brand name.
I bought my first road bike off of e-bay for very little money and put another 5+K miles on it. craig's list or ebay may be an option on a budget.
Good luck and happy shopping.

Quick Reply