Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any bicycle riders out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
velotech
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I ride mostly mountain, since I live in CO, although they have some great road rides here too. Ever since I got a 29er, that's all I ride now. I prefer the tranquil peace of riding alone. There's nothing better than a day of epic riding and then enjoying some great brew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #22
superfluent
Recipes 

The city I live in has dedicated bike lanes throughout downtown so it's really nice commuting through the city.

I got about 10 miles to work (one way) but my old MTB (bought in that huge shop in Boston someone mentioned earlier, BTW...) just isn't an option when it comes to commuting. So I just bought myself a new "almost road-spec:ed" cyclocross for commuting (the frame and wheels can take a little more abuse than a regular road bike and it allows for wider, studded tires in the winter, even though I have narrow semi-slicks on for now).

H

Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #23
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I ride both mtn and road when I get a chance.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #24
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am a trail rider from way back, I didn't get out much last year though so this year I am trying to make up for it. It is also a good excuse to break out the camera.

Last edited by Tenchiro; 04-14-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #25
Yanos
Alaskan Assassin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Love biking. All of it! Gotta Chumba XCL for single track/ trail and a Pedal Force carbon fiber 16lb lightweight for on road and triathlons. Just got a Santa Cruz Superlight for my wife's B-Day. Would love a Cross Check for commuting/rain bike. Always want what you don't have, sigh.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #26
dirtsurfer
Recipes 

biker here

2 29er mtb
1 fixie/free road bike

the dirtsurfer chronicles

Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #27
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Mtn biker here, although i have a road bike but it usually only gets action on my rollers when its muddy out.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 04-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #28
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

SWMBO and I have been talking about getting a couple of bikes, something that we could use out on the road as possible commuters and light trail riding. I'd love some suggestions.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #29
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
SWMBO and I have been talking about getting a couple of bikes, something that we could use out on the road as possible commuters and light trail riding. I'd love some suggestions.
The thing about dual purpose or "hybrid" bikes is that they end up sucking at everything. I hate to sound like a jerk, but its the truth. I think most hybrid bike owners start out with good intentions and then never find the enjoyment that people with the proper equipment experience. If by trail, you mean dirt, you really need some tire volume and tread on your tires, and for the road, the tread will just slow you down. I think the closest you can actually come is a cyclocross type bike with room for a little wider tires, fenders for commuting, larger diameter wheels and better gearing for the road. Steer clear of the hybrids with their heavy flexy forks and seatposts. I ride a Surly Crosscheck as my "road" bike because I like to take dirt roads and can duck into a trail if I have my file-treads on. If you do not like drop-bars, there are a lot of "City Bikes" that may work for you.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #30
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n8 View Post
The thing about dual purpose or "hybrid" bikes is that they end up sucking at everything. I hate to sound like a jerk, but its the truth. I think most hybrid bike owners start out with good intentions and then never find the enjoyment that people with the proper equipment experience. If by trail, you mean dirt, you really need some tire volume and tread on your tires, and for the road, the tread will just slow you down. I think the closest you can actually come is a cyclocross type bike with room for a little wider tires, fenders for commuting, larger diameter wheels and better gearing for the road. Steer clear of the hybrids with their heavy flexy forks and seatposts. I ride a Surly Crosscheck as my "road" bike because I like to take dirt roads and can duck into a trail if I have my file-treads on. If you do not like drop-bars, there are a lot of "City Bikes" that may work for you.
No, I appreciate that. I can see most of my cycling doing paved road riding, but I'd like enough versatility to handle loose gravel/dirt trails around the state parks and rails-to-trails project that are around my area.

Quick Reply