The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any bicycle riders out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
s3n8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a couple bikes, 2 mtn, 2 road-ish. My road bike is a Surly crosscheck since I enjoy mashing around the mountain back (gravel) roads near my house. I can put fatter tires on there than a road frame. I also have a fixie, but that has not been off the trainer in 2 years. Have a single-speeded Q-Roo mtb, and a squishy Astrix Monk 29er. I work from home, so when I go "out for lunch" its usually a 20 mile road loop .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Used to when I lived in the ex-burb, but between the narrow roads and logging trucks out here in the country, not safe.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
Greyhound
Blackjack Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'm a road bike rider - currently riding a Trek 5200. My son has taken up riding too, and is riding my old Trek 1400. He's now faster than me, which is a very bittersweet feeling.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

"It is what it is." -Erich Fried

Old 04-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
I'm a road bike rider - currently riding a Trek 5200. My son has taken up riding too, and is riding my old Trek 1400. He's now faster than me, which is a very bittersweet feeling.
Haha road biking is an old mans sport too, you have no excuse for that!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
fixie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
Year round bicycle commuter here. I have a couple fixed gear bikes for my commute and errands, a recumbent for longer road rides and a Pugsley for goofing around off-road and in the snow.

Most of my riding is commuting and general errands. I do try to get a few long rides on the recumbent over the summer and usually a century or two. I bought the Pugsley with the intention of riding off-road summer and winter but havn't ridden it much the last year or so. I mostly use it for neighborhood rides with my young daughter and wife.

So what is the fixie you refer to in your username. I have a Mercier Kilo TT (cheap track bike) with bull horns and a front brake and a CrossCheck with a fixed wheelset for my primary all weather bike.

Craig
I have two fixies that I tool around on, one is a jamis sputnik that is blacked out with sugino cranks and black rims, and the other is a masi track frame that is orange with white deep-v rims, and blue bull horns. It is so flash and yuppie looking but it is fun.
Sweet to see you have a pugsley, I have had the chance to ride one and it was crazy fun. Those tires are HUGE!! Great to see other bikers on HBT.

P.S. Thanks to who every fixed the title in this thread.

Primary: Ed Wort's Haus Pale ale, Dead Guy Clone(Yooper's) APA
Kegged: Dry Stout, Oatmeal Stout

Old 04-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #16
Greyhound
Blackjack Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
Haha road biking is an old mans sport too, you have no excuse for that!
I do have an excuse. I blame my brewing hobby; or more precisely, my drinking hobby, which has added too many pounds to my frame. At least the riding keeps my weight somewhat under control.

"Drink to ride. Ride to drink."

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

"It is what it is." -Erich Fried

Old 04-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
BlackDogBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been into mountain biking for about 20 years, done a bit of racing as well. I love riding my road bike as well, but the crazy rednecks in pickups try to run me off the road around here.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
SowegaBrews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've been on a bike since I was able to walk. I grew up riding around the neighborhood, and then moved to BMX. As I got older I bought a MTB for safer dirt jumping and then XC. Then I built a fixed gear for kicks that I have now switched to the freewheel side for longer rides. Winter weekends are spent on the MTB trails, summer weeknights are spent on the single speed averaging 15-20 miles per night.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #19
fixie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n8 View Post
I have a couple bikes, 2 mtn, 2 road-ish. My road bike is a Surly crosscheck since I enjoy mashing around the mountain back (gravel) roads near my house. I can put fatter tires on there than a road frame. I also have a fixie, but that has not been off the trainer in 2 years. Have a single-speeded Q-Roo mtb, and a squishy Astrix Monk 29er. I work from home, so when I go "out for lunch" its usually a 20 mile road loop .

Sweet to hear that you have a crosscheck, I have had the chance to ride a few and they where great. I am thinking about getting a surly steamroller for a fixie commuter. Just what I need right more bikes! and beer for that matter!! Hopefully I will be putting a few pictures of my garage up. All you bike nerds will love it, there is 24 bikes in my garage at the moment. I live with five other people who are all into bikes and own a crap load. So pics soon!

Primary: Ed Wort's Haus Pale ale, Dead Guy Clone(Yooper's) APA
Kegged: Dry Stout, Oatmeal Stout

Old 04-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #20
BackBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Road/Fixie rider here. I worked as a bike mechanic at a huge shop in Boston while I was in college. Used to ride mountain a lot as well, but now basically only my road bike (Lemond Zurich circa 2002) and my fixed gear (Bianchi Pista frame, built up with a variety of parts)

Kegged: Empty :-(

Quick Reply