Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anxiety?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
evolcoms
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Anxiety?

So I recently started having anxiety and have had one panic attack. This is really scary for me and I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on how to cope and what are some good ways to relieve stress other than drinking beer?

Beers
In the Works: Peach Berry Wheat Ale
Conditioning: Blue Moon Clone, Double O' Blossom Honey Hefeweizen
In the Fridge:Blind Pig IPA, Raspberry Wheat Ale, Capt. Cascade American Amber Ale
Ciders
Primary #1: Carmel Apple Cider 4 weeks on 01/16/13 Primary #2: Spiced Apple Cider 2 weeks on 01/17/13

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Think about chatting with your doctor about Xanex for occasional episodes - be aware that the benzodiazepines are addictive and only for episodes of anxiety. If you have consistent anxiety (i.e. GAD) they may offer Paxil or similar since they are not only antidepressants, but also effective at controlling anxiety. FYI, if you read about the paxil like drugs, there is a wide variety of positive and very negative opinions due to associated side effects.

Also consider breathing/relaxation exercises, meditation, yoga and getting regular exercise. Like many, I've had my fair share of stress/anxiety and personally have had good luck with relaxation/yoga/exercising.

Good luck with whichever route you go, I understand how much it can suck.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Google-- Terror Management Theory

Watch-- Flight From Death: The Quest for Immortality (I think it's on Hulu now)

Consider talking with someone. Meds, particularly psychotropics, are a temporary and ultimately fruitless "fix."

Cheers!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
hopdoc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

That sucks, sorry dude.
I was having panic attacks for a little while. I read about it, and got to know the symptoms. I actually thought there was something wrong with me, heart problem or something. After I actually figured out it was anxiety, I realized it was all in my head and I was overreacting, I began to calm down. Exercise helps, caffeine does not. I used to go for walks to calm down....do something normal to distract myself, do dishes, clean bottles, vacuum. Old video games that I used to play as a child, like super mario, seemed to help. Also just being in the company of someone I trust, or talking to someone on the phone really helped. I could not have gotten over being anxious alone. I got a lot of support from my girlfriend, relatives, and one friend really helped a lot had also experienced panic attacks and he eventually got over it. That gave me hope.

You can get over it... It won't last forever. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopdoc View Post
That sucks, sorry dude.
I was having panic attacks for a little while. I read about it, and got to know the symptoms. I actually thought there was something wrong with me, heart problem or something. After I actually figured out it was anxiety, I realized it was all in my head and I was overreacting, I began to calm down. Exercise helps, caffeine does not. I used to go for walks to calm down....do something normal to distract myself, do dishes, clean bottles, vacuum. Old video games that I used to play as a child, like super mario, seemed to help. Also just being in the company of someone I trust, or talking to someone on the phone really helped. I could not have gotten over being anxious alone. I got a lot of support from my girlfriend, relatives, and one friend really helped a lot had also experienced panic attacks and he eventually got over it. That gave me hope.

You can get over it... It won't last forever. Good luck!

hopdoc's right, I forgot to add that it's recommended to cut back/remove caffeine from your diet. This was really hard for a while, and I still feel like I'm missing something when I have decaf coffee.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Sorry to hear. I have a lot of anxiety in my life and get those nasty panic attacks too. Have tried different medications but they are just a quick fix. In my area we have a "211" crisis line, they provide advice, referrals, or just someone to talk to. Have a plan of action for when it happens. What works for me is getting on youtube and watching funny videos. Put my headphones on to block everything out and just watch the videos. If it's so bad that I can't sit still, I just start walking, then sit down for funny videos when I get calmed down enough. Also bought a book on Amazon called "The Feeling Good Handbook". Written by a doctor who believes in alternative, drug-free treatments for anxiety/panic attacks. It's all about learning to de-stress and figuring out what works for you. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
evolcoms
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will try them all out. Its been a battler not only for me, but for my family as well. I just how it ends sooner than later. Right now the doc prescribed me lorezepam, witch has helped a little. I have been trying to identify things that trigger it and am trying to remove those from my day to day life. Thanks again fort the great advice.

Beers
In the Works: Peach Berry Wheat Ale
Conditioning: Blue Moon Clone, Double O' Blossom Honey Hefeweizen
In the Fridge:Blind Pig IPA, Raspberry Wheat Ale, Capt. Cascade American Amber Ale
Ciders
Primary #1: Carmel Apple Cider 4 weeks on 01/16/13 Primary #2: Spiced Apple Cider 2 weeks on 01/17/13

Old 02-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolcoms View Post
I have been trying to identify things that trigger it and am trying to remove those from my day to day life.
That will help but most triggers, at least for me, are unavoidable. So get rid of triggers you can get rid of, then have a plan of action ready for the situations you can't avoid. My husband is very sick with cancer. Have been faced with several emergencies where I had to get immediate medical help for him. First couple times, I completely panicked. Couldn't even hardly see straight to find the phone. But talking to the counselor through the 211 line, I now have a plan of action. Lists taped to the refrigerator with numbers to call. The last time I didn't panic at all, just looked at the list and followed instructions. Can't avoid all situations so have a plan for when/if it happens. Again, good luck.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
jbford
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

go see a psychiatrist. Some are cheaper than seeing your family Dr. If you see the right one, they will go for a minimum of nonaddictive meds (paxil, zoloft, lexapro).
If it is real bad get some emergency meds (zanax, ativan) until things get stabilized.

Get a copy of "Full Catastrophe Living" or other book on Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy and start learning how to turn off panic attacks. A psycolologist can help teach you these techniques.

Stop drinking and using caffeine.

(I am not a Dr, just a patient)

Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #10
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Welcome to the club.

Anxiety sucks and can virtually paralyze you. About 3 years ago the same thing happened to me and I seriously thought something was up with my body. After several visits to the doctor and thousands of dollars later, I eventually accepted that it was anxiety and yes, it happens to men also.

I have discovered that certain stresses will trigger this. Personally, I have identified and eradicated a few of the sources and I'm doing okay for the most part.

Best advice I can give you is to check with your doctor and make sure everything is okay physically. (Most likely your checkup will come back flawless)

From here, save yourself time and money and speak with someone close to you that may assist you in identifying the underlying cause. For me it was recently getting married, challenges with my business, and dealing with a dysfunctional family. Eventually I got married, business stabilized, and I avoid a select few members of my family that cause stress.

If you are unable to solve the mystery consult with a shrink.

As a last resort and a band-aid solution, get some pills. While they can be helpful, I would not recommend this as a first course of action. Unfortunately, many people reach for the pill before identifying the underlying issue.

In the mean time, grab a beer and try to relax.

Quick Reply