Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The anti-halloween thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
jfr1111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only trick or treaters we get are my girlfriend's bratty little cousin. They didn't even bother to dress up last year and came to collect their candy on the 30th.

I would like to have genuine little kids come to the door, but it'll never happen since the house is on a little private street and you can't see it from the road.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

We normally get 150 kids or so, except for last year when it was raining. People bus their kids in here too. However, I still give out good candy. What I don't get is that there is not Mischief Night on the 30th here in VA. That was more fun than Halloween!

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged:

Old 10-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I like to hide in the bushes with a chainsaw (chain removed). Our neighborhood is fairly nice but pretty close to some less desirable areas. I let the little kids and anyone who is acting as they should make their way to the door, but the thugs and older teens (who aren't with little kids) get the crap scared out of them.

What makes it better is that one of my saws had the muffler gutted and is ported so it makes quite a bit of noise.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 639

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
This is going to be my first Halloween in the new neighborhood, so we'll see how this plays out. SWMBO bought a bunch of candy to hand out, but I usually don't give a **** about handing out candy. I'd rather just sit on the couch drinking beer all night. First kid that gives me **** about not getting enough candy, lights out. My actual light, not like punching the kid or anything. Unless they really deserve it.
Your going about it wrong....I sit on the front porch drinking beer and hand out candy. Make a drinking game out of it. Each kid is a swallow. Makes for a lot more interesting night. Sometimes it's nice to even have a fire going.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #25
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 147

We get about 130 kids or so. I don't mind it at all, cept after 9 pm. About 4 hours (5-9) is enough. But I used to enjoy it as a kid, why shouldn't these kids be able to?

Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #26
EVL_VI
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

We spend 364 days of the year telling our precious children to not talk to strangers, AND to never take candy from strangers. I dont understand why its ok one night a year.

Halloween has only really became a big deal in NZ in the last few years, I wish it never had.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #27
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 822 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 2234

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
I like to hide in the bushes with a chainsaw (chain removed). Our neighborhood is fairly nice but pretty close to some less desirable areas. I let the little kids and anyone who is acting as they should make their way to the door, but the thugs and older teens (who aren't with little kids) get the crap scared out of them.

What makes it better is that one of my saws had the muffler gutted and is ported so it makes quite a bit of noise.
That's the spirit!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #28
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1667 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 2841

Can you believe I dont have too much to complain about regarding halloween? Nevermind the slutty costumes, it always annoyed me when some guy would bring his wife to a party wearing two cocktail napkins and then want to get froggy with the guys who look at her, I mean the for-kids stuff.

We lower three buckets down from out second story balcony. If the kids choose the right buckets they get one of two kinds of candy (purchased from RiteAid in the big "mixture" bags). If they choose wrong they get frozen brussels sprouts. No buckets are lowered without a "trick or treat!" unless you too young to speak or have autism (happened last year) but then the adults get to "play". Two years ago the police stopped by to make sure the herd of costumed youngsters storming the castle to get candy wasnt a riot of some sort. Good times.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #29
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3473 Times on 3186 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgilmore View Post
We get about 130 kids or so. I don't mind it at all, cept after 9 pm. About 4 hours (5-9) is enough. But I used to enjoy it as a kid, why shouldn't these kids be able to?
That really is how I feel about it. I did have fun with Halloween as a kid. Dressing up, running around in the street like a fool, getting candy and seeing all the pageantry of it.

And in some small way, it feels good to know the community can get along and participate in something together, even if just ceremonial, and not poison each other.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #30
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1266 Times on 958 Posts
Likes Given: 675

I shut the lights off and close the curtains. In four years; no one has knocked. We have three dogs and it's just not reasonable to have being ringing the bell and knocking all night. This year we'll set out some candy on a table with some decorations....That's as far as we go. I do like the holiday though. I love fall and fall decorations.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Quick Reply