Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The anti-halloween thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
BoomerHarley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
I do remember one year, this really sweet kid came up with his dad. For some reason my MIL had bought us a bunch of raisin boxes to hand out that year and of course none of the kids were taking them. This kid got genuinely excited "Oh yay raisins! Thank you so much sir." His dad looked genuinely embarrassed. Me: "Sure kid. Here is a whole bag of them.". The kid looked like he might just pass out from genuine ecstasy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
I do remember one year, this really sweet kid came up with his dad. For some reason my MIL had bought us a bunch of raisin boxes to hand out that year and of course none of the kids were taking them. This kid got genuinely excited "Oh yay raisins! Thank you so much sir." His dad looked genuinely embarrassed. Me: "Sure kid. Here is a whole bag of them.". The kid looked like he might just pass out from genuine ecstasy.
I like this kid!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
Zuljin
16%er
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3398 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 279

We still have Halloween decorations up from last year. And there's no way I'm taking down zombie garden gnome this year. We hung the spooks in the tree yesterday and are carving another jack-o-lantern tonight.

We'll be handing out DEs and straights all night too.

I mean candy. Totally safe candy.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
We'll be handing out DEs and straights all night too.

I mean candy. Totally safe candy.
No, no, I understood. You're attempting to develop an early interest in wetshaving among our youth.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #15
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2549 Times on 1500 Posts
Likes Given: 5728

This is going to be my first Halloween in the new neighborhood, so we'll see how this plays out. SWMBO bought a bunch of candy to hand out, but I usually don't give a **** about handing out candy. I'd rather just sit on the couch drinking beer all night. First kid that gives me **** about not getting enough candy, lights out. My actual light, not like punching the kid or anything. Unless they really deserve it.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #16
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvy
i love halloween, it's christmas i hate....
+1

Old 10-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #17
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Dude young gals are still dressing like sluts on halloween. You're just celebrating wrong.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #18
Mumbly
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Im a holiday grinch, 12 years of retail management for a national drugstore chain (won't name names) but when you deal with the same inventory (from here on out will be referred to as crap) year to year. You can literally go through a stockroom and know what crap is in what cheap Chinese box just by the size of it. Every year this time listening to 30 customers (from here on out refered to as idiots) a day saying "isn't it a little early for Christmas", really your the first idiot to say that to me in 12 years.

The only holidays I enjoy are turkey day (two family's that like their drinks and tons of good food), and New Years (relaxing at home with good homebrew and my good friends)

Your not a miser.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #19
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 26

+1
the only thing I enjoy about the holidays is the food. when I was 20 I moved to the opposite side of the country from my family so I haven't had a holiday with my family in 14 years. if it wasn't for my wife and kids I wouldn't do nothing for the holidays.

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 10-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 780 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 2066

I used to love halloween. It was the 1 day/night of the year you could be anyone or anything you wanted to be. It was always in good fun, even the scary stuff. There used to be halloween parties where everyone would be in costume & most people didn't know exactly who each other were, which made pickups more interesting; though you could still always tell males from females.

Even without the costumes, there were the harvest parties or barn dances. Lots of food, fun, games & music; not to mention beer & cider. There were still hookups, but you always knew a bit more without the costume.

Even as a kid, it was a time to pretend to be a witch, superhero or monster, get candy, have fun & no harm done. It was simple: no porchlight on=don't knock/ring.
Sometimes you played tricks on the dicks in the neighborhood, but they always deserved it.

When I 1st moved to the NW, I bought about $30 worth of halloween candy to hand out to the trick or treaters, carved a jack o' lantern, turned the porchlight on & popped a HUGE bowl of popcorn, settled in to watch scary movies & wait for the doorbell to ring...

Not 1 trick or treater. not one. In 17 years, not one trick or treater has rung my doorbell. I quit buying cndy & waiting for them after the 1st year, but I'm still just a little disappointed. I used to decorate & dressup in scary costumes to hand out candy, I thought it was fun; it was the adult version of trick or treating. Now nobody seems to want to have fun anymore. No parties, no trick or treat, no nothing.

Now I buy about $10 worth of candy & eat it from Halloween to Christmas. I might watch a scary movie on Halloween, I might not; mostly I work or sleep. My girlfriend doesn't even dressup in slutty costumes anymore. Used to be (for me at least) Halloween was 2nd only to Christmas in the amount of fun to be had. Now modern society has killed it. Christmas is next, though it's been on life support for years.
That's my 2 cents worth. Happy Halloween folkes.
Regards, GF.

Quick Reply