Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > ANOTHER mass shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 02:32 AM   #101
z987k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye
Ya know, I am one of the most socially liberal people you will ever meet. However, I hardly EVER vote that way and the number one reason is liberal politicians and their "feel good" gun laws. Look at D.C. Even with the gun ban, its still one of the most violent cities in the country. Most gun control laws only empower criminals.

Its funny that youre from Illinois. I was accepted to grad school there at UI Urbana Champagne, into the physics department for condensed matter, number one ranked condensed matter physics school in the country.

Turned it down, simply bc of the gun laws.
that seems like a funny reason to turn down grad school. I mean you can move away as soon as your done.... I know I'm going to get the hell out of this state as soon as I can.... but not because of gun laws.

BTW, I am from UIUC.... where the shooter went to grad school so we're hearing all about this everywhere.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 02:32 AM   #102
Thirdeye
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleymonster
'Nuff Said.
Not mine, but my buddies collection. My personal colection is slightly smaller.
Nice 1911 up there in the corner! Ive recently been bitten by that bug.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 AM   #103
Thirdeye
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
that seems like a funny reason to turn down grad school. I mean you can move away as soon as your done.... I know I'm going to get the hell out of this state as soon as I can.... but not because of gun laws.

BTW, I am from UIUC.... where the shooter went to grad school so we're hearing all about this everywhere.
I never said I turned down grad school altogether. I had decent options.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:53 AM   #104
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

seems like guns are pretty important to you

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 02-16-2008, 02:59 AM   #105
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglygoat
feck... i don't have a fire extinguisher in my house either, nor have i ever had one....
I used to think the same thing until my house caught on fire, and had the propane guy not shown up and put it out, I would have been screwed.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:07 AM   #106
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow, I can't believe it, I'm IB4TL!!!!

My .02:

I own guns. They are hunting weapons. I own no handguns, though many of those are also used as hunting weapons.

Orfy, you said it yourself: Very few crimes are committed with legally owned guns. I think if we enacted some sort of gun control, the gun crimes wouldn't change, just the legality of the gun ownership.

And thirdeye, apparently all of your PHD education hasn't taught you how to be civil. If you can't voice your opinion nicely, then shut it.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-16-2008, 03:18 AM   #107
buraglio
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k

I work at UIUC so I'm in the same area as z987k, and he's right, it is everywhere here. I'm really familiar with the NIU area, I spend some time up there at least once a year... It's just a shame. I'm about as apathetic as you can get, but this kinda thing is just a bad deal all around.
Life will always be there to kick you in the ass, it's just a fact. This kind of thing solves nothing.

------------------------------------

Blog

Old 02-16-2008, 03:52 AM   #108
Ize

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donner
It's funny to hear all the people claim that all the problems with violence would be solved by removing the guns. I've lived in three states that allow its citizens to carry concealed weapons if they choose to and complete the required background checks and training. I've also lived in a state, oklahoma, where a guy with a grudge filled a Ryder Truck full of ammonia nitrate and diesel fuel and parked it outside the federal building.

Crazy people will always find a way to do the harm that they seek, be in through a gun, a knife, a truck or a subway in London.

Excellent post, dead on right, and cuts thru the BS too. It's not the choice of weapon, it's the nutbag that wields any form of weapon for whatever reason their addled brain tells em' to.

Did I end a sentence with a preposition? I never could figure that one out...

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 02-16-2008, 04:15 AM   #109
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglygoat
how many crack heads do you have busting down your door in canberra?

Not one! And I don't have a gun either, I was just making a point. People who live in those type of situations won't have much fun in a fistfight.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:17 AM   #110
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I need to get a gun. Seriously, just for home protection. Basically this post is IB4TL, but I'm not for increased gun control. I will say olllllo's words in threads like these often put things in perspective and coool everybody down. olllllo......?

Quick Reply