Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Annual migrations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
CBBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Just about every variety of bird imaginable. Ducks and geese obviously but also buzzards, herons, sparrows, blackbirds, seagulls, etc. Most are either moving south from here or through here but some like chickadees move into the area from colder regions further north.
Its not as noticeable but Monarch butterflies also migrate south from here for the winter after feeding on the milkweed all summer.
The ground animals are very active this time of year but don't migrate. Squirrels get really bold as they ignore just about everything trying to collect enough nuts to store for the winter. Deer get more aggressive and mobile also as its mating season.

Nothing like tarantulas around here though.

Craig

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1596 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 817

I battled a tarantula last night. Right before bed I realized I left something in the truck. Went out there at 2AM in just my boxers and one was guarding my truck. Had to smash it with a stick and got it's juices on me.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

We mostly see Geese. And Monarchs. And some little black birds that come by the thousands to the fields of corn. And the Shad and American Eel. Those come to mind. Have you ever been bitten by one of those things. I don't mind Spiders too much, but I do know some can be dangerous, how poisonous is that type (I am guessing probably not so much?).

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01 View Post
We mostly see Geese. And Monarchs. And some little black birds that come by the thousands to the fields of corn.
Red Winged Blackbirds! Sometimes the skys darken due to their flocks. When traveling the flock will stretch miles. And boy can they make a mess of a sweetcorn patch.

Craig

Old 10-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01 View Post
We mostly see Geese. And Monarchs. And some little black birds that come by the thousands to the fields of corn. And the Shad and American Eel. Those come to mind. Have you ever been bitten by one of those things. I don't mind Spiders too much, but I do know some can be dangerous, how poisonous is that type (I am guessing probably not so much?).
Never been hurt by one. They're pretty docile critters. They just ramble along. I think their bite is like a wasp in severity.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #16
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
Red Winged Blackbirds! Sometimes the skys darken due to their flocks. When traveling the flock will stretch miles. And boy can they make a mess of a sweetcorn patch.

Craig
That would be a site to see. The only similar thing I've seen around here is about 20 Turkey Buzzards flew over all at various altitudes.
Facebook page

Old 10-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #17
quixotic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We got gangs migrating between Richmond and Oakland

Seriously though, the Bay Area is along the Pacific Flyway, which is one of the major bird migration routes. Every fall, you can see hundreds of raptors and other migrating birds making their way south over the Golden Gate (it the narrowest strip of water, and raptors generally don't like flying long distances over water).
Other than that, we get salamander migrations. Some days, they will cover the trails in certain areas of the East bay parks. Cool stuff.

secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Old 10-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #18
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
We got gangs migrating between Richmond and Oakland

Seriously though, the Bay Area is along the Pacific Flyway, which is one of the major bird migration routes. Every fall, you can see hundreds of raptors and other migrating birds making their way south over the Golden Gate (it the narrowest strip of water, and raptors generally don't like flying long distances over water).
Other than that, we get salamander migrations. Some days, they will cover the trails in certain areas of the East bay parks. Cool stuff.
I heard they go to their wintering grounds this time of year.
Salamanders are cool. Fun to catch when I was a kid.
Facebook page

Quick Reply