Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > ANDROID Phones are for girls!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 AM   #41
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
OK well I guess we'll just have to disagree. Not sure what you mean by "not really multitasking". If you mean multi-threading, then maybe that's true but I don't care at all. I can context-switch between multiple tasks which is all I care about.

Perhaps you've never actually used an iphone, but I do all the same stuff you describe on one. They aren't called exactly the same thing, but they are functionally the same. Anyway I don't mean for this to be iOS vs android, so much as I cannot stand that my S3 lacks a lot of usability compared to my previous phone. Before things would "just work" now it seems like I have to do a little extra work to get the same result. Another example: for whatever reason what used to take me a maximum of 2-3 clicks to call my wife on my old phone, now takes a MINIMUM of 3 clicks on my s3. I have added her to my favorites, but for some reason android likes to shuffle my favorites list around, and when I click on my wife's entry it doesn't just call her, but instead asks me which phone number I want to use. Which sucks because I have 6 different phone numbers in there under her entry. How about automatically calling the one I set as the default?!?! Nope, got to click on that one specifically, EVERY TIME. Why? NO IDEA.

EDIT: also, don't think the multi-threading thing is true anyway. I specifically recall using multiple apps at the same time. e.g. using a game while listening to music and tracking my running in a different app.
Want to call your wife easy? Save her name as wife, or something obviously like that, and click the google voice search button and say "call wife" and either press call or wait. That's 2 clicks maximum. Also there's a widget called direct dial, you can select your wife and then which number, then just call her just by pressing a single button. Or in my stock android, when I'm in phone there's 3 taps at the top, the dial pad, the recent calls and the contacts. The contacts has my frequent calls and my girlfriend, parents, and siblings are all right at the top.

Apple Multitasking isn't true multitasking.Don't get me wrong, even Android isn't true multitasking, WebOS does it much better. But anyway with iOS they let you run specific processes in the background. Android does not discriminate in the same way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #42
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 602 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I have used the iphone keyboard, HOW IS IT DIFFERENT?????????
Clearly you've never tried to type a password contains a keyboard pattern.

Look at the top row here, especially the order of the symbols. Notice they don't follow the same order as a normal keyboard on your computer? Unless you use only weak passwords or have every shifted symbol memorized, sometimes on an iPhone you have to walk over to a keyboard and look, "what the hell is Shift-7 again? Oh, &. Gotcha," before you can log in. I used a 3GS for over 4 years and it also frustrated the hell out of me.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #43
atreid
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:

Oh, the keyboard doesn't work very well on android? NO PROBLEM there's another app you can purchase which is fantastic! How about text messaging? NO PROBLEM, $5 please. Camera? Another $1 purchase will set you straight!

Yes, Android is so much better because I get to choose which apps I want to buy to replace all the crappy ones that come installed on the phone I just paid $300 for. I have only had this phone for 4 months and I am already thinking about buying out the contract just to avoid having to use it anymore. Speaking of which, my galaxy s3 is also the worst navigator on the planet. Google Maps is GREAT! Except it doesn't work at all on my phone for navigation because it can never figure out exactly where I am. Turn-by-turn directions don't work AT ALL. Makes business travel so much fun. I have to print out physical maps just like I did back in 1998.

Sorry for the thread derail, I'm done.
God the infinite bs you say is endless.... boohoo I paid 300$ and I'm too cheap to add another 12$ to custom it and make it mine... lame...!

You can't even use GoogleMaps! I ditched my Garmin GPS since I got my Note... must be magic...!

When I read you were arguing that your IPhone did real multitasking I already knew you didn't know what you were talking about anyway...

See, I don't even need 4 pages of text and everyone already know my opinion...

boom
Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #44
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
The thing with Android is there is always an option. if you don't like the iOS keyboard, or messaging system, that's it, you have to hate the phone.
Not true.

I work in UNIX Server Administration. Lots of droids in the office. But also lots of iPhones. Guess what? Most of the iPhones are rooted. You don't have to hate the phone. You just have to learn how to tear down the walls that Apple erected to keep ignorant people from doing ignorant things.

Most of us at work are forced to bang away on terminal windows all day in dimly lit rooms. It's only natural that some of us want to go home and not fiddle with a phone, just the way somebody who digs ditches for a living probably doesn't want to go home and dig a trench. To that end, I've not modified my S3 in any appreciable way.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 AM   #45
snowtires
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 43 Posts

I had an iphone 3g i have an iphone 4 the new ipad 4 and a galaxy s3.
The galaxy 3 has a bad ass screen, i cant even look at an iphone 5. I still love iphones tho and droids. For different reasons. Btw galaxy s4 is being released march 14th. It will be the phone to have. I played with a bb z10. Was awsome. I guess i just love technology.

Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(

Old 02-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #46
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Not true.

I work in UNIX Server Administration. Lots of droids in the office. But also lots of iPhones. Guess what? Most of the iPhones are rooted. You don't have to hate the phone. You just have to learn how to tear down the walls that Apple erected to keep ignorant people from doing ignorant things.

Most of us at work are forced to bang away on terminal windows all day in dimly lit rooms. It's only natural that some of us want to go home and not fiddle with a phone, just the way somebody who digs ditches for a living probably doesn't want to go home and dig a trench. To that end, I've not modified my S3 in any appreciable way.
Problem is that jailbreaking an iPhone is a different monster from Android. Now I could be wrong because I stopped seriously caring about the iphone for a few years because I was out of the Cell industry, but IIRC, when you jailbroke an iPhone you violated iOS TOS and couldn't use the app store. Obviously you have 3rd party app stores that rectify that, but it's a bit more work and (again I could be wrong) it's harder to get back to factory if you need a warranty claim done.

Also if you're set on not tinkering with your device, hackign it is a silly way of showing that. I've custom ROMd my devices and so on so forth, and I just found if you have a good Android device, you don't need to do all that. I love stock Android. I wish every phone had the option to use stock android so everyone could experience it's glory. I've used Samsung and Motorola and they're just not as good as stock. Only negative to stock is stupid carriers. Some don't carry them (looking at you Verizon) but luckily most Motorola's aren't too far from Stock so they're better options (JMO) than Samsung, LG, etc.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:13 AM   #47
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Problem is that jailbreaking an iPhone is a different monster from Android. Now I could be wrong because I stopped seriously caring about the iphone for a few years because I was out of the Cell industry, but IIRC, when you jailbroke an iPhone you violated iOS TOS and couldn't use the app store. Obviously you have 3rd party app stores that rectify that, but it's a bit more work and (again I could be wrong) it's harder to get back to factory if you need a warranty claim done.
Flashing back to factory is easy on any iDevice that doesn't have brand spanking new firmware version that hasn't been rooted yet before. 3rd party apps actually work better because you can install anything you want for free and many versions are available. There's a whole huge subset of not-so-legit apps for free that shouldn't be free...

Quote:
Also if you're set on not tinkering with your device, hackign it is a silly way of showing that.
The iPhone set the trend because it was the had great hardware at a hugely subsidized price point when nobody else offered that. When I got my first iPhone, my choices were that or a Palm Treo 700W for $650. Hard decision, eh? The trend has greatly reversed in recent years.

I personally am not really into modifying my phone. I get my tinkering fix at work. As it turns out, most of the guys at work that enjoy the tinkering with their phones at home tend to dead weight in the workcenter. Go figure.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #48
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Apparently I have raised the ire of android fanbois everywhere by suggesting that I don't like my S3 as much as my previous phone. Not only am I stupid and technically incompetent, but the very idea that I don't want to pay to fix basic usability problems in my phone makes me a cheapskate to boot. It's good enough for THEM so I must just be stupid to have a different opinion.

Also, I am a loser for not appreciating all the wonderful freedom provided to me by android. Thanks, HBT! I'm sure your cogent arguments and name-calling are sure to sway my opinion.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #49
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
The iPhone set the trend because it was the had great hardware at a hugely subsidized price point when nobody else offered that. When I got my first iPhone, my choices were that or a Palm Treo 700W for $650. Hard decision, eh? The trend has greatly reversed in recent years.

I personally am not really into modifying my phone. I get my tinkering fix at work. As it turns out, most of the guys at work that enjoy the tinkering with their phones at home tend to dead weight in the workcenter. Go figure.
The original iPhone was a great thing for smartphones. Because it changed pricing points and expected functionality. It went from a business only device to a consumer and business device.

Personally I tinker less with my phones now than ever before, that's why I love stock Android, it's the best smartphone OS for my money. My singular complaint with my phone has to do with the hardware not the software (battery life and the radio, both known issues with the Galaxy Nexus)

If Verizon doesn't get another stock Android device (and I'm sure they won't) I'm going to get one of the Razr Maxx devices most likely, just so I can get insane battery usage even on 4G. No other phone offers close to that level of battery life.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #50
atreid
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Apparently I have raised the ire of android fanbois everywhere by suggesting that I don't like my S3 as much as my previous phone. Not only am I stupid and technically incompetent, but the very idea that I don't want to pay to fix basic usability problems in my phone makes me a cheapskate to boot. It's good enough for THEM so I must just be stupid to have a different opinion.

Also, I am a loser for not appreciating all the wonderful freedom provided to me by android. Thanks, HBT! I'm sure your cogent arguments and name-calling are sure to sway my opinion.
Pfff cry us a river... You were belligerent and whining from the start. I don't give a damn someone don't like S3 or whatever else I like. Android has quirks too... and Samsung's Android flavor tastes like an expired extract brew. I even recommended an IPhone for my no-good-with-IT dad. If you don't want to cash out a little 5-10$ to easily fix a device you use everyday, fine. Don't. Have fun with that.

For me Android will always be better. For me. What I can't stand is the totalitarianism that's sweating from your POV...

There I go with the last word... lol... Feel free to blabla even more....

Quick Reply