Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > ANDROID Phones are for girls!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #31
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
You may consider it a great strength, I consider it break-even at best. So far as I can tell, it means that commercial android phone vendors don't spend a lot of time working on refining these tools to make them as robust and user-friendly as they could, because they figure someone else will spend those resources and do it for them. So then you have a bunch of small 3rd party and open source solutions, many of which are 80% really great but suffer from some flaw that makes them aggravating, with the occasional gem which actually works well but is often difficult to find amidst all the cruft.

As a user I want my keyboard to "just work" right out of the box. I don't want to spend hours or even minutes sifting through and trying out new keyboard applications (some of which I might even have to pay for as a bonus) just to find the one I like best. That is not my idea of fun. I want it to work right when I turn on the phone the first time. I don't mind hunting down an application to add functionality to my phone, but a keyboard is pretty basic functionality for a smartphone and it should work pretty darn well without user intervention.
The first paragraph is entirely flawed. While in a convoluted way you can come up with that theory. Android devices are made by different manufacturers who want to come up with their own stamp. Samsung wants you to go back and get Samsung, Motorola wants you go back and get Motorola, Google just wants you to stick to Android. The stock keyboard in Android works great, I've also really enjoyed Swype, and a few other keyboards. The thing with Android is there is always an option. if you don't like the iOS keyboard, or messaging system, that's it, you have to hate the phone. With android you can just go use something else. Stock Android does everything as well or better than iOS. I have the Galaxy Nexus on android 4.1 and I can do any task as easily and as quickly as on iOS. And it doesn't even have the latest version of Android*

As far as the second paragraph, I opened the box to all my phones and found their keyboards functional. Some less than others (I switched my Droid X to swype) but I've been using the Stock Android Keyboard on my Galaxy Nexus for the most part, I have Swype on it as well, but I'd ditched it lately as I find the stock works better 90% of the time. And 4.2 stock is supposedly so much better (I've yet to get my hands on it, see asterisk below)

*Didn't want to derail my response but screw you Verizon, I'm somewhat seriously considering going back to a basic phone on Verizon and switching to T-Mobile for my smartphone to get actual Nexus functionality, seriously Verizon is the worst, they can go to hell)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #32
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3410 Times on 3140 Posts
Likes Given: 297

If you havin app problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I got 99 problems but, surfinghbtwithsomeappthatpeopleseemtohavealotofpro blemswithwhenIcouldjustsurfthewholeweblikearegular damnpersonandnothaveanyisuesatall aint one.

PistolsAtDawn Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #33
Zuljin
16%er
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3410 Times on 3140 Posts
Likes Given: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
If you havin app problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I got 99 problems but, surfinghbtwithsomeappthatpeopleseemtohavealotofpro blemswithwhenIcouldjustsurfthewholeweblikearegular damnpersonandnothaveanyisuesatall aint one.
And da funk is that? Some kind of magic that puts spaces every so many letters? Damn voodoo.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #34
1GR8DA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

+1 on SwiftKey. Went from a DROID X to the S3. SwiftKey made a huge difference. For me, even with the "issues" HBT would not exist without the android app. Use this thing for everything.

"Drive through it Cole. I know you can..I know it in my heart."

Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #35
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreid View Post
Anyone on Android not willing to use SwiftKey or not willing to pay the 2-3$ for it should not have the right to complain about the word predictions and should have their phone taken away from them and donated to someone who actually have a clue.

Oh, the keyboard doesn't work very well on android? NO PROBLEM there's another app you can purchase which is fantastic! How about text messaging? NO PROBLEM, $5 please. Camera? Another $1 purchase will set you straight!

Yes, Android is so much better because I get to choose which apps I want to buy to replace all the crappy ones that come installed on the phone I just paid $300 for. I have only had this phone for 4 months and I am already thinking about buying out the contract just to avoid having to use it anymore. Speaking of which, my galaxy s3 is also the worst navigator on the planet. Google Maps is GREAT! Except it doesn't work at all on my phone for navigation because it can never figure out exactly where I am. Turn-by-turn directions don't work AT ALL. Makes business travel so much fun. I have to print out physical maps just like I did back in 1998.

Sorry for the thread derail, I'm done.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #36
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Fine with me I'll go back to iphone where the keyboard actually works without paying extra for it.
And you'd be sacrificing other things. Like multi-tasking, widgets, and many other great functions.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #37
weirdboy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
And you'd be sacrificing other things. Like multi-tasking, widgets, and many other great functions.
Not sure what you mean here. I had multi-tasking on my iphone 4. So far I haven't found a widget that I actually like on this phone. I installed a weather widget, because unlike iphone it doesn't have a useful one by default, but even though I tried 5 or 6 of them they all sucked. Same goes for stock tickers, another thing iphone has by default which works fantastic. Tried several on android, they are all clunky and somewhat useless. One of them was close, but I could only put 5 symbols into it before it said I couldn't enter any more.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #38
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Not sure what you mean here. I had multi-tasking on my iphone 4. So far I haven't found a widget that I actually like on this phone. I installed a weather widget, because unlike iphone it doesn't have a useful one by default, but even though I tried 5 or 6 of them they all sucked. Same goes for stock tickers, another thing iphone has by default which works fantastic. Tried several on android, they are all clunky and somewhat useless. One of them was close, but I could only put 5 symbols into it before it said I couldn't enter any more.
You did not have multitasking. You may have thought that you did, but you didn't.

As far as widgets you mentioned 2 widgets and your own personal preferences. I've ran several different weather and clock widgets I enjoy. Don't use stocks because I'm not active in the market no reason for that. I actively use my power management widget (wifi on/off, bluetooth on/off, gps on/off, sync on/off and backlight adjuster) my flashlight widget, my google now widget, my pandora widget, Google Sound Search (like Shazaam but totally free) and many more

I also enjoy having a homescreen, not an all the time applist. I like that much more than iOS and it's far and away my favorite Android Feature. Since I can prioritize with apps I often use (such as face book, instagram, flashlight widget, my google apps folder, gallery, settings) and have my app drawer where I leave can access the stuff I use less often (like Games) Not to mention that I have the bar at the bottom where I have my 4 most used apps that work there (Browser, camera, contacts and phone) I can access from any part of my phone. part of my home screen.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #39
weirdboy
Recipes 

OK well I guess we'll just have to disagree. Not sure what you mean by "not really multitasking". If you mean multi-threading, then maybe that's true but I don't care at all. I can context-switch between multiple tasks which is all I care about.

Perhaps you've never actually used an iphone, but I do all the same stuff you describe on one. They aren't called exactly the same thing, but they are functionally the same. Anyway I don't mean for this to be iOS vs android, so much as I cannot stand that my S3 lacks a lot of usability compared to my previous phone. Before things would "just work" now it seems like I have to do a little extra work to get the same result. Another example: for whatever reason what used to take me a maximum of 2-3 clicks to call my wife on my old phone, now takes a MINIMUM of 3 clicks on my s3. I have added her to my favorites, but for some reason android likes to shuffle my favorites list around, and when I click on my wife's entry it doesn't just call her, but instead asks me which phone number I want to use. Which sucks because I have 6 different phone numbers in there under her entry. How about automatically calling the one I set as the default?!?! Nope, got to click on that one specifically, EVERY TIME. Why? NO IDEA.

EDIT: also, don't think the multi-threading thing is true anyway. I specifically recall using multiple apps at the same time. e.g. using a game while listening to music and tracking my running in a different app.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #40
John53189
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have an ipad ( I know not an iPhone) and an s3. I wish I would have got the galaxy tab instead of the ipad. Some things just don't work on my ipad and it pisses me off. My ipad was expensive, and now is glitchy with my contacts, email and calendars ( which I use daily).

Quick Reply