Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ammo Prices

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
Grizz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Ammo Prices

So what do you guys think of the ammo prices lately!? Do you think the prices will ever go down? I tend to think once prices have rose on ammo they stay there but this is getting ridicules!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 660

The price? Hell, finding ammo is getting hard in these parts. No 9mm anywhere. I bought the last two boxes of 45 ACP from a local shop last week. Said he is hoping to get another shipment in months.... Price is going to stay for a while.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

All I need is another box of .270 bullets and I will have enough powder brass and bullets for me to hunt with for at least ten years.

Just finding some calibers is impossible. I think I will see a Dodo bird before I see any 22 long rifle again

Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 392

There's a painting at a local hipster bar. Great place, tons of craft beer (60+) taps. Anyway it's just a white canvas, on the left is a bunch of bananas, right next to it reads 34 cents. In the center there's an apple, next to it reads 21 cents. On the right is a bullet, next to it reads 2 cents.

Painter was obviously trying to make a statement, but unfortunately he was so far outside reality that I laugh every time I see it.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Prices will come back down when the supply and demand rebalance. However, I doubt the prices will ever be what they were. It'll be same as what happened in the past...prices came down but never to the level they were prior to the runs. Just ratches up more each time there is a big run.

Kegged and Carbing: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Pre-prohibition Lager

Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3596 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Prices will come back down when the supply and demand rebalance. However, I doubt the prices will ever be what they were. It'll be same as what happened in the past...prices came down but never to the level they were prior to the runs. Just ratches up more each time there is a big run.
Agreed.

I've not bought any in a while since I tend to buy more than one shootings worth at a time. Not quite in bulk, but a few boxes at a time.

Last week, Academy did have .22 lr. I saw it while making my obligatory walk by when I was there for charcoal.

.44 at near a dollar a shot is ridiculous.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3002 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah, pretty much everything including reloading supplies is about impossible to find. My buddy and I have been searching all over just for bullets and primers. I found once place near me that had a few but was limiting it to one box of primers per person. The shortage will be fairly short lived but I doubt prices will come back down much.

Just start reloading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong
Subsailor Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I miss the days of 1440 rd. wooden crates of 7.62x39 ammo for $99, less if you found a sale. I think the last SKS I bought way back when, still packed in cosmoline, was $89 give or take.

Kegged and Carbing: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Pre-prohibition Lager

Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #9
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3596 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Reloaders are an option. I used to buy some from this one guy who was always at the same gun shows. You have to watch it though. I know some people won't buy reloads at all. Some folks are not as good at it as others. There is a risk that they may be tragically bad at it.

The guy I bought from was well respected for his quality, and deservedly so. I put some work into finding that out. At first, I just noticed him in the course of noticing things. He was always at the same gun shows. One day, I hung around the area of his table for a while. He was obviously getting repeat customers. They spoke like they knew each other from previous dealings. I asked a few folks about him on the side. "Hey. You buy from that guy before? How is it? Yes. I am trying to feel him out before taking a chance." Some people were leery; ether of being approached at seemingly random or maybe they didn't want to give up the best fishing hole kinda thing. Some just gave me a quick, 'Yeah. He's good.' No bad reviews. So I went home and looked him up online. Not much info, but none bad. I really do think people guard good reloaders like good fishing holes. Went back and bought a small bag. Every round was a winner. Having read about the peril of these guys getting brass from any dubious source they could scrounge, I tried to trade, sell or give him some spent brass. He wouldn't take it. Said he didn't accept brass he didn't know and usually used brass he bought from his sources with only special requested exception, and then only from a select few. I don't know how much ammo I bought from him over the next few years, but it was all spot on quality.

Subsailor Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
stevo4361
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 to reload your own.

Quick Reply