The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Am I the only one who dislikes IPAs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #61
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1507 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I remember not liking IPAs, but it was around the time that I would argue the merits of Miller Lite over Bud Lite.

Growing hops really made me a hop head.

Next time you brew, even if it is a lite lager, get a full on whiff of the hops in the bag.

See if you like the smell. I LOVE it.

Once I made that connection, I tasted not just bitterness, but "Hops". Total mind f*CK.

- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #62
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1545 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 2413

I chewed on some leaf hops at a group brew I attended recently.

I would do it again (cascade I think? maybe?)

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #63
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

I have found that hop bitterness is a taste one gets acquired to that becomes addictive. The closest thing to this phenomenon I can think of is acquiring a taste for super hot pepper wing sauces. Neither bitterness or blistering heat is something anyone likes the first time they try it but the more they have the more they like it!

Hops (especially Amarillo and Cascade) smell so good to me that I love pouring an IPA and smelling that aroma. It's like crack!

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #64
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I remember not liking IPAs, but it was around the time that I would argue the merits of Miller Lite over Bud Lite.

Growing hops really made me a hop head.

Next time you brew, even if it is a lite lager, get a full on whiff of the hops in the bag.

See if you like the smell. I LOVE it.

Once I made that connection, I tasted not just bitterness, but "Hops". Total mind f*CK.
Bitterness = face impossion = nasty
Hop aroma and flavor without being a face impossion =

My ~48 IBU English IPA is all flavor and aroma additions (7.5oz all starting at 20 minutes from the end). You get the EKG flavor and aroma for the entire pint. IMO, it's almost orgasmic.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #65
morticus
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
Have yet to try a wheat beer I can actually drink.
Try a Chain Breaker from Deschutes.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #66
MattsFlyShop
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

you know, when I started brewing i liked an occasional IPA, and (someone's gonna hit me) Coors Light was my main beer staple because I liked it and I was used to it... now that I started brewing and trying other beers i can't think about taking even a sip of Coors or Bud... they taste like they've gone bad or something... I have to blame it on the absence of Hops... I tried an Arrogant Bastard the other day... what a TREAT!!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #67
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by morticus View Post
Try a Chain Breaker from Deschutes.
mmmmmm... no...

Not about to toss out money on something I suspect I won't like. Being between jobs I'm more selective about what I spend money on. When I'm on another contract, or start a new role, maybe. But, more likely, probably not. I'm perfectly happy drinking my brews made with ale yeast, with no wheat beers, or lagers, in the mix.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #68
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
I like what I like. Sometimes what I like is different than what I liked before. Sometimes its the same.
You should like what you like too. Sometimes what you like will be the same as what someone else likes. Sometimes it will be different.

I think that covers it
LOL! Yeah, that covers it.

As long as everyone is saying what they like to an audience ( that's not right, should it be readience?) that basicly does not give a rip, this old man will say that,IMO,the original, real, un-usurped version of IPA is pretty dang good stuff, that being British of course. Everything else is just trying to use up hops, and was a devious plan instituted by the hop growers of America.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #69
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
...this old man will say that,IMO,the original, real, un-usurped version of IPA is pretty dang good stuff, that being British of course. Everything else is just trying to use up hops, and was a devious plan instituted by the hop growers of America
On that, we actually agree.

IMO, you can have great hop flavor and aroma WITHOUT the face implosion that high IBUs will bring. I enjoy the flavor and aroma in my pale ales, but I don't want to have my face pucker up like I just had a turbo-charged lemon crammed in there.

IME, most (not saying all) American IPA's are trying to cram as many IBUs into the bottle as they can. Even a lot of APA's are going that route, using too much hops for IBUs and not enough for flavor and aroma. Oh well, I guess that's another reason why we brew our own. We don't have to drink what a commercial brewery produces and sells.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #70
HopZombie99
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfaninSanDiego View Post
Interesting thread......I too jumped on the IPA bandwagon and bought a 6er of Stones IPA, could not even finish one, gave the rest to co-worker friend.

Quick Reply