Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Am I the only one who dislikes IPAs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Default Am I the only one who dislikes IPAs?

I have never been a big fan of IPAs. It has been so long since I had one though and IPAs are all anyone I talk to seems to be able to talk about that I got suckered back into trying one and I am again disappointed.

I don't buy beer anymore. I love the beer that I brew but beer isn't something I go out of my way to buy commercially and taste etc. I am really more of a wine drinker.

Anyway, my pipeline ran dry with the cider I am supposed to be drinking now needing more time to age. I have some wine but I really wanted to drink some beer or some cider or some bubbly. My wife was at the stor and I asked her to pick up a sixer for me.

She came home from costco with a 24 pack of Marble Brewery IPA for me. Now I actually LOVE Marble brewery and their IPA has high marks so I figured what the heck.

Yuck. As I am trying to choke down my second, thinking about being stuck with 22 more of these things, I am reminded... I really can't stand IPAs.

Am I the only one? Crazy? Or is there anyone else out there that just doesn't like IPAs?

P.S. As far as beers go I love stouts and the occasional amber also brewing a hefe right now that smells AWESOME and I can't wait to try so its not that I am a beer hater and I try all different styles. IPAs just seem super popular with people and I can't stand them.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
k47k
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

people have very specific tastes.

Some dislike IPAs
Some dislike Belgians
Some dislike hefes
some dislike stouts
some dislike anything thats not coors lite
etc etc etc

drink what you like.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

You know, I LOVE IPAs and they are my favorite style. I bet I could drink them everyday, and never be tired of them.

But I think many people love malty beers, or even sours, so it's just a matter of personal taste. My husband used to be totally into malty beers, including the "Dead Guy" clone I make, and loved dopplebocks and bocks and other lagers. He gradually came over to the dark side, and now prefers hoppy American pale ales, though. He still doesn't like super bitter beers, though.

I have a friend who loves stouts, and prefers a stout over 90% of the other beers. He never gets tired of them. He only drinks my IPA when I have no stout or other "acceptable" beer, and he only drinks that because it's beer and it's free. Not because he likes it!

Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
I have never been a big fan of IPAs. It has been so long since I had one though and IPAs are all anyone I talk to seems to be able to talk about that I got suckered back into trying one and I am again disappointed.

I don't buy beer anymore. I love the beer that I brew but beer isn't something I go out of my way to buy commercially and taste etc. I am really more of a wine drinker.

Anyway, my pipeline ran dry with the cider I am supposed to be drinking now needing more time to age. I have some wine but I really wanted to drink some beer or some cider or some bubbly. My wife was at the stor and I asked her to pick up a sixer for me.

She came home from costco with a 24 pack of Marble Brewery IPA for me. Now I actually LOVE Marble brewery and their IPA has high marks so I figured what the heck.

Yuck. As I am trying to choke down my second, thinking about being stuck with 22 more of these things, I am reminded... I really can't stand IPAs.

Am I the only one? Crazy? Or is there anyone else out there that just doesn't like IPAs?

P.S. As far as beers go I love stouts and the occasional amber also brewing a hefe right now that smells AWESOME and I can't wait to try so its not that I am a beer hater and I try all different styles. IPAs just seem super popular with people and I can't stand them.
No, someone starts one of these threads every two weeks.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Montanaandy Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
My husband used to be totally into malty beers, including the "Dead Guy" clone I make, and loved dopplebocks and bocks and other lagers.
^^^^ Me

Edit: Not the husband part...

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
No, someone starts one of these threads every two weeks.
Good. Now you get to enjoy another one. You are welcome.

People Like This 
Old 12-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Yesfan

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 205

I'm 50/50 with them, but I still don't consider myself a "hop head" by any means. I've tried New Belgium's Red Hoptober, Strait to Ale's Monkeynaught and dislike both of them. I hate that bitter hoppy after taste I get after every burp.

On the other hand, Sweetwater's IPA is just freaking awesome as is Moccasin Bend Brewing's Centennial X5. As for home brews, same thing, mixed results. I've tried the Chinook IPA and the Dead Ringer IPA. I don't like the Chinook, but love the Dead Ringer.

What this has taught me as a novice brewer is, more than likely if an IPA is loaded with Centennial hops, I'm going to like it.

If you're wondering if there exits an IPA you might like, try the Dead Ringer. You can get a 1 gallon version of it, if you don't want to do the 5 gallon.

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I started out not liking IPAs, but liking about 90% of other styles I've had. Over the year or so I have been brewing, I've grown to appreciate and enjoy a good IPA.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
morticus
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 53 Posts

I wasn't a big fan of IPA's until I started drinking Lagunitas. Kind of used that to ween myself onto them now, I love most all IPA's.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 546 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 420

I hate that I love IPA's. Too hippstery.

. . . but I can't help it.

That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.
hinkle Likes This 

Quick Reply