Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Alzheimer's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1770 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 3009

Default Alzheimer's

Sorry ahead of time folks, I had planned on posting something funny, but thats just not going to happen.

Does anyone have any experience in getting help from the Veterans bureau or related association?

My grandparents have both been diagnosed with alzheimers and vascular dementia. Because of this and a variety of other health issues they have been entirely incapable of carrying out the most simple of tasks.

My father has been forced to stop working, and has been taking care of them nonstep all day every day for the past 15 months. To say he is burned out is an understatement.

Does anyone know if we could get cheap or free inhouse care through the veterans' bureau? Any suggestions? My grandfather has a pretty decent pension, but its still not enough to stretch very long for an assisted living situation...

Thanks in advance if anyone knows anything.

On a lighter note, doesnt this smiley face look just like Ron Paul?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2426 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1376

I'll ask my wife. Her grandpa was a WWII vet and had dementia. I want to tease her about her about it running in the family, but I'm going to save it for when she's older. I think it will be more topical then.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1425 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Sorry to hear this. It must be very hard for your father to take care of his parents full-time. If possible, other family members should take over for a day (or night) or just hang around and provide assistance and company. But I know that's easier said than done.
All I found so far is this http://www.va.gov/GERIATRICS/Alzheim...entia_Care.asp

Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 129

This sort of thing really can wear on you. I watched my grandmother deteriorate because of the 7-days-a-week care she gave to her mother (my great-grandmother). In the three-year stretch between when my great-grandmother started needing full-time assistance and when she died, I could visibly measure the toll it took on my grandmother. And that's with some nursing home assistance too.

My great-grandmother did not have Alzheimer's disease, but she did have a form of dementia. It's hard to see someone you love fall victim to this sort of thing. It robs a person of who they really are and places an immense burden on the people responsible for their care.

My heart goes out to your family!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
pksmitty
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm sorry I can't help with the Veterans assistance. I just wanted to extend my support to you. My parents moved my grandparents in with us, grandmother with alzheimer's, grandfather senile dementia, when I was in college. Watching the toll the disease took on them, and the stress on my parents (especially my mother) was very difficult. My thoughts and prayers go out for you and your family.

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! W.C. Fields

Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
barneygumble
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Sorry ahead of time folks, I had planned on posting something funny, but thats just not going to happen.

Does anyone have any experience in getting help from the Veterans bureau or related association?

My grandparents have both been diagnosed with alzheimers and vascular dementia. Because of this and a variety of other health issues they have been entirely incapable of carrying out the most simple of tasks.

My father has been forced to stop working, and has been taking care of them nonstep all day every day for the past 15 months. To say he is burned out is an understatement.

Does anyone know if we could get cheap or free inhouse care through the veterans' bureau? Any suggestions? My grandfather has a pretty decent pension, but its still not enough to stretch very long for an assisted living situation...

Thanks in advance if anyone knows anything.

On a lighter note, doesnt this smiley face look just like Ron Paul?
I am sorry to hear that. I dont know what I can say. Your dad is a good man.

I dont know if they can help with both, or not. I do know you do need to contact the VA. This kind of stuff is what they do for vets. Their spouse? I dunno.

oh and what about Ron Paul?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2426 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1376

Unfortunately nobody in my wife's family can offer any advice. By the time her grandpa was far enough along for the dementia to be a problem he was already in an assisted living home, so there wasn't much for them to do but to visit him.

If I were you I'd start by getting online and making call after call after call. Definitely call the VA and start asking questions. There has to be some good resources out there. I'd guess like everything else you might have to talk to a BUNCH of people to get anywhere.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just spoke to my dad. Grandma's heart is giving out. Looks like we have another 2 weeks on the high side. With the exceptions of hunger and arrousal I am feeling every feeling a person can feel all at once.

thanks for listening.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1425 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Sorry about your Grandma.

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS