Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Alternative Energy Incentives and Global Climate Change: a quick survey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Alternative Energy Incentives and Global Climate Change: a quick survey

Hey HBTers! One of my many interests is the environment, and how it is managed by human organizations. Below is a link to a short, six-question survey about alternative energy incentives and global climate change. It is designed to assess public opinions of alternative energies, their associated government incentive programs, and their relation to global climate change. It would really help me out if you would complete the survey. It will take no more than two minutes, and your participation will tell me how to direct and focus my research. Thank you.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...vmGOHL1w_3d_3d

Keg 2: Empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Done!!!!!!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

I've been using alternative energy systems for over 25 years. The main impact of government programs is attracting scammers (look at the Arizona multiple-fuel program) that ultimately drive legitimate businesses out. When the government program stops, the scammers move on and the industry collapses. We are going into the third cycle I've seen in those 25 years.

I installed a high-efficiency heat-pump three years ago and was unable to qualify for credits. Oregon was working from an old list of systems and even though mine is better & more efficient, I'm SOL.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 02-04-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
Naidirem
Recipes 

Honestly I think I find it easier to buy and have installed energy efficient appliances and housing updates than it is to do even the simple things like recycle. Our house came with a heat pump, I switched to fluorescent bulbs and all the appliances we bought have been high efficiency but I have a blue recycle tub in my garage that has never been used. There is just no real excuse for it. I always say I'll start but it is just so difficult to motivate myself.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The biggest hurdle, imo is that the cost of many of these systems is high, so we won't see them come into a 'reasonable' realm for the majority for a long time. The credits aren't a bad idea in that they can push someone who is on the fence...but not really big enough incentive for someone with a system/product that is less than 10 years old to switch. *shrug*

Personally, I think passive solar is one the biggest improvements to our house design philosophy that could make a staggering impact for minimal cost. Plus the beauty of it is it doesn't 'wear out' and if the sun goes out we have bigger problems . Technologies like LED lighting are very positive because they are a seemless transition that requires no changes except the product.

I would love to see ground loop Geothermal heatpumps come down in price. They work great here in the NE.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I hope this doesn't turn into a debate. Good thread.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 02-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
Done!!!!!!
+1

Old 02-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I also think that the cost is the biggest hurdle. That's why I'm trying to get info on alternative and renewable energy programs. Like many on this site, I oppose industrial-grade ethanol production, but not just because it competes with barley. The US is a major exporter of food crops, if we turn it all to ethanol, somebody goes hungry.
Here in Eugene, OR, a research team that I've worked with in the passed is assessing Eugene/Springfield's total rooftop density with the hope that these pre-existing rooftops could be used to provide solar energy. I think that's a great idea.
Thanks to everyone who has completed the survey!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Done.......

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 02-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Germey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Done, but I wasn't really sure about the answers to several. The answer to most of them really depends on a lot of different things for me. For example, "What would make you invest in Alt. Energy?" That would depend a lot on what it was, what I got out of it, and how much good it did in the world. I have switched almost exclusively to CF lights, and I don't even need to think about a return on investment.
On the other hand, I am on the fence about a tankless water heater. I know it will use less energy and I like the fact that it will take up a few less square feet in my garage. I don't like that it will cost about $600 more than a big tank one and will only save me about $40 a year. It pisses me off even more that SDG&E will give a rebate if one buys an energy star rated tank, but not if I buy the more efficient tankless one. Obviously, I am willing to pay more to do my part, but it is a complicated balancing act of considerations.
Good luck,

Quick Reply