The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > AK-47 inventor: U.S. troops in Iraq prefer my rifle to theirs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
blaire576
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AK-47 inventor: U.S. troops in Iraq prefer my rifle to theirs

Last update - 13:25 17/04/2006
AK-47 inventor: U.S. troops in Iraq prefer my rifle to theirs
By Reuters

Mikhail Kalashnikov, designer of the world's most popular assault rifle, says that U.S. soldiers in Iraq are using his

invention in
preference to their own weapons, proving that his gun is still the best.

"Even after lying in a swamp you can pick up this rifle, aim it and shoot. That's the best job description there is for a

gun. Real soldiers know that and understand it," the 86-year-old gunmaker told a weekend news conference in Moscow.

"In Vietnam, American soldiers threw away their M-16 rifles and used [Kalashnikov] AK-47s from dead Vietnamese soldiers, with

bullets they captured. That was because the climate is different to America, where M-16s may work properly," he said.

"Look what's happening now: every day on television we see that the Americans in Iraq have my machine guns and assault rifles

in their armored vehicles. Even there American rifles don't work properly."

Some U.S. troops in Iraq have reportedly taken to using AK-47s in preference to the standard-issue M-16. The Cold War-era

gun, renowned for its durability and easy handling, is plentiful in Iraq.

Kalashnikov designed his first weapon in 1947 and is still chief constructor at Izhmash arms factory in Izhevsk in the Urals

mountains.

The factory's director Vladimir Grodetsky told the news conference that around a billion rifles had been produced around the

world using parts of Kalashnikovs or based on the same design, only 10-12 percent of which were made in Russia.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Doesn't shock me. the tolerances on the M16 are so tight that if the thing is near perfectly clean it has a tendency to jam. They have made it a bit beter BUT it still can be a pita.

The AK-47 on the other hand . . . well if you shake one it sounds likes it's a rattle. It's much more crappy condition friendly.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I got to fire an AK once when I was in Honduras doing top-secret drug interdiction (okay, kidding on that part ) ...it was a POS but it did the job. I've read the same things, the thing can get submerged, buried in sand, it will still fire. And in my SOCOM game it is the coolest sounding one too.

HB99 is gonna shoots sparks out of his arse when he ses this thread.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-19-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Nate

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

AR15/M16 is a good police and/or range weapon (read clean environment). Field weapon that you can always count on? I'll take the AK every time (or even an M14).

Old 04-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Public Service Announcement

For the uninformed, there are very few true AK-47s in the US in civilian hands. Probably only a handful. In the US we have AK-47 "styled" rifles.

AK-47s described in this article are capable of fully automatic fire (like a machine gun). The versions sold in the US are semi-automatic. Meaning only one shot is fired for each pull of the trigger.

Gun grabbers and the main stream media like to distort that fact, when talking about so-called assault weapons/rifles. Whenever this subject comes up, they'll show some guy in a place like Iraq blasting away with a fully automatic AK-47, as if that is what your neighbor down the street might walk into Wally World and purchase.

Not that I have a problem with people owning real AK-47s.

----------------
"ASSAULT RIFLE -- By U.S. Army definition, a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power. If applied to any semi-automatic firearm regardless of its cosmetic similarity to a true assault rifle, the term is incorrect."
--------------

Now back to your normally scheduled programming.....

Old 04-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard +
Public Service Announcement

For the uninformed, there are very few true AK-47s in the US in civilian hands. Probably only a handful. In the US we have AK-47 "styled" rifles.

AK-47s described in this article are capable of fully automatic fire (like a machine gun). The versions sold in the US are semi-automatic. Meaning only one shot is fired for each pull of the trigger.

Gun grabbers and the main stream media like to distort that fact, when talking about so-called assault weapons/rifles. Whenever this subject comes up, they'll show some guy in a place like Iraq blasting away with a fully automatic AK-47, as if that is what your neighbor down the street might walk into Wally World and purchase.

Not that I have a problem with people owning real AK-47s.

----------------
"ASSAULT RIFLE -- By U.S. Army definition, a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power. If applied to any semi-automatic firearm regardless of its cosmetic similarity to a true assault rifle, the term is incorrect."
--------------

Now back to your normally scheduled programming.....
I've heard of some peoples getting SK-47s. Is this what you are talking about?

Cheers,
Rich

Old 04-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
1ill_Biscuit
Recipes 

I'll keep my M-4, thank you very much. If it comes down to fire-superiority, we've got machine guns for that. I just like to know that my round's going where I want it, especially in civilian areas. It does jam alot more than the AK, but that's the trade-off for more precision. All it takes is a little more maitenence to keep the jam rate down to an acceptable level. Plus these guys should be aware that most of the AK's I've seen over here are cheap knock-offs. We took a few that we confiscated down to the range (good clean fun!); one of the barrel blew clean off when we fired it, and another split from muzzel to chamber.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The AK47 has proven it's capability. As previously stated they don't jam, can be held together by string and tape and a child can maintain and 'operate' one without difficulty. Shame so many kids 'out there' (Africa, Middle East etc) do.......

Old 04-20-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
Doesn't shock me. the tolerances on the M16 are so tight that if the thing is near perfectly clean it has a tendency to jam...
Actually, there's a lot of misinformation out there about the M16. Most notably the "jamming" problem.

The thing is is that the people who complain about it and have had problems with it just do not know how to take care of it the way it is supposed to. It's not their fault though because they were never taught correctly.

I repaired small arms for the Army for 5 years ('81-'86). Every time I repaired one and test fired I NEVER had a problem.

The thing is they call the main problem "double feeding". Well, I've been teaching for over 30 years (yes, I still deal in weapons) that there's no such thing as "double feeding".

The problem is the weapon fails to extract the used cartridge - that's what they incorrectly call "double feeding".

I'd choose an M16 over any other rifle.

EDIT: Dude: I just saw your comment. There's nothing wrong with a lot of the worlds weapons - only their operators!

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 04-20-2006 at 12:21 AM.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:56 AM   #10
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99

I'd choose an M16 over any other rifle.
Are you really serious? If so, I'm kind of surprised.

I shot the M4 when I was at Ft. Campbell, it was easier to handle and I loved it.
I also had the opportunity to fire the XM8 (do you work with these?) with the Army when I was in Korea in 2002-2003. I'm not privvy to the status on if this is going to be used but it was nice.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply