Air Stagnation Advisory ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got this email alert from the local TV station. Have you ever heard of this???

So its not windy and we might be smelling pig$hit from up north?? :confused:

Severe Weather Bulletin for Polk County

Issued at: 9:19 AM CST 2/24/08, expires at: 12:00 AM CST 2/25/08

air stagnation advisory in effect until midnight cst tonight
The NWS in des moines, at the request of the iowa department of natural resources, has issued an air stagnation advisory, which is in effect until midnight cst tonight.
The Iowa department of natural resources has issued an air quality advisory for the northern half of Iowa. Fine particulate levels near epa health standards were present over the northern half of iowa Sunday morning. Elevated levels are expected to persist through midnight on Sunday.
The dnr recommends that Iowans with respiratory or heart disease, the elderly, and children limit prolonged outdoor exertion until air quality conditions improve.
An air stagnation advisory indicates that due to limited movement of an airmass across the advisory area, pollution will increase to dangerous levels. Persons with respiratory illness should follow their physicians advice for dealing with high levels of air pollution.

Fairly common in the LA area, although I've seen it in many other areas. Typically, a temperature inversion traps a bubble of air near the ground and it loads up with pollution.

Nurmey said:
Just keep your stinky pig air on that side of the river! :D

OK - I'll do that. I'm not planning on going out today, but if I do I'll hold my breath.

Darn it, look at what they did....

air stagnation advisory is cancelled
The NWS in des moines has cancelled the air stagnation advisory.
The Iowa department of natural resources has informed the national weather service that air quality has improved over much of northwest, north central and west central Iowa.

Winter Storm Watch for Polk County

Winter storm watch in effect from Monday morning through late monday night,
The NWS in des moines has issued a winter storm watch, which is in effect from Monday morning through late monday night.
A significant winter storm will be impacting central Iowa Monday and Monday night. Though rain or a rain snow mixture is expected for the first several hours of the storm, the rain will change over to snow from northwest to east during the day with the potential for a 6 to 8 inch band of snow either side of a line extending from near audubon to ames to near waterloo. Within this corridor isolated higher totals are possible. The snow will begin in western Iowa by sunrise with the rain snow changeover reaching central Iowa by the noon hour and over the remainder of the region by late afternoon. Snowfall rates may approach two inches of snowfall per hour during the height of the storm from late morning through mid afternoon. This will cause road conditions to deteriorate rapidly during the afternoon hours.
As the storm continues moving east during the evening hours northwest winds of 20 to 30 mph are likely to cause blowing and drifting snow Monday evening. The gusty winds are expected to continue into Tuesday with drifting snow still impacting the area through Tuesday afternoon.
A winter storm watch means there is a potential for significant snow, sleet, or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.

Latest posts

Back