Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Air BnB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
JeffoC6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 28 Posts

I've been looking into this as well, as my wife and I are planning a trip to Paris next Fall (2014). While it looks great on paper, I did notice that there were a LOT of bad reviews when you googled (air bnb reviews). Everything from people losing their money, to owners not showing up, etc. Now I'm worried because unlike vrbo or homeaway, there is no actual policing of payment (from what I've heard). Whereas if someone stiffs you on vrbo or homeaway you can contact the site and they can refund your money, that doesn't happen on air bnb because it's JUST between the seller and renter. I'm afraid to take the plunge at this point...

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 957 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6 View Post
I've been looking into this as well, as my wife and I are planning a trip to Paris next Fall (2014). While it looks great on paper, I did notice that there were a LOT of bad reviews when you googled (air bnb reviews). Everything from people losing their money, to owners not showing up, etc. Now I'm worried because unlike vrbo or homeaway, there is no actual policing of payment (from what I've heard). Whereas if someone stiffs you on vrbo or homeaway you can contact the site and they can refund your money, that doesn't happen on air bnb because it's JUST between the seller and renter. I'm afraid to take the plunge at this point...
That's not the way payment works, at least domestically. You pay air bnb when you make the reservation and airbnb pays the host 24 hours after you check in. If something isn't right when you go to check in, you contact Airbnb and the host doesn't get paid.

I don't have any firsthand experience with dispute resolution on airbnb but that seems pretty safe.
terrapinj Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
That's not the way payment works, at least domestically. You pay air bnb when you make the reservation and airbnb pays the host 24 hours after you check in. If something isn't right when you go to check in, you contact Airbnb and the host doesn't get paid.

I don't have any firsthand experience with dispute resolution on airbnb but that seems pretty safe.
Interesting. Maybe the reviews I read were older. I wonder how it works internationally though. I'd love to use this for when we go in 2014, but I'm a little nervous at this point. I obviously still have time to plan/decide, so maybe the more positive reviews I hear the more I'll come around to the idea.

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Old 07-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6 View Post
Interesting. Maybe the reviews I read were older. I wonder how it works internationally though. I'd love to use this for when we go in 2014, but I'm a little nervous at this point. I obviously still have time to plan/decide, so maybe the more positive reviews I hear the more I'll come around to the idea.
we used air bnb in Rome, Florence and Munich and all payments were handled by AirBnB - we only worked out logistics with the owners/hosts no payment was ever given directly to them.

We had no need to dispute anything so I cannot comment on how that works

I made sure to contact each host a few times before the trip to reconfirm dates and details, meet up times/locations etc. They all provided me with their cell phones.

from their FAQ page https://www.airbnb.com/help/topic/173
Quote:
The Guest Refund Policy is available to all Airbnb guests who have booked on the site, no matter the destination they’re traveling to or their country of residence. The Guest Refund Policy is not insurance and does not replace your traveler’s insurance. Make sure you review and understand the terms of your insurance policy and what it covers and does not cover. Full details are found in the Airbnb Policy Center.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
we used air bnb in Rome, Florence and Munich and all payments were handled by AirBnB - we only worked out logistics with the owners/hosts no payment was ever given directly to them.

We had no need to dispute anything so I cannot comment on how that works

I made sure to contact each host a few times before the trip to reconfirm dates and details, meet up times/locations etc. They all provided me with their cell phones.

from their FAQ page https://www.airbnb.com/help/topic/173
Thanks for this. It just seems too perfect, ya know? I mean, all of the places in the pictures look amazing, have great locations, and seem so affordable. To boot, basically ALL of the reviews of each place are positive. It's nice to hear that people have had good experiences with it though. And that policy has me feeling a little more confident in using the site.

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Quick Reply