Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Advice needed: satellite TV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
FireBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Advice needed: satellite TV

I'm working on finishing my basement (yeah, just like last year...shut up, slapshot ) and we have DirecTV and a DVR, so we have two lines coming off the satellite into the house. I was told by a friend that regular cable splitters are a no-no and I ran two coax wires to every outlet in the basement for the DVR while running the electric.

He said something about a multiswitch. Any ideas/suggestions/where to get 'em?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
HomerT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Old 06-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1029 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well you know you won't have access to your DVR's programs on your second box right? When you buy the second receiver from DTV, you might as well ask them which multiswitch you need. I got around this whole thing by running the coax output of the DVR receiver to my second TV location and getting an extra remote with a IR bouncer. I was then able to control my receiver from the bedroom and watch DVR'd programs.

I now have Dishnetwork who's receivers already have that functionality built in (comes with an extra RF remote).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
FireBrewer

Recipes 

We only have one TV so we really only need one receiver right now. But I want the ability to be able to move the TV to the other outlets in the room (just in case the wife decides she likes it better somewhere else ).

Old 06-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 622 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Dish's receivers have a coaxial output that sends a regular cable signal. I used that output from one receiver to pipe satellite TV all over the house. If it's a dual receiver (a single box capable of dual channel output), you can watch one channel on the TV hooked directly to the receiver, and another channel on the TVs hooked up to the coaxial output.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With my Dish Network, a splitter on the coax between the satellite and box won't work. I have a 2 receiver system, and for my 3rd tv in the garage, I have a splitter between the box and tv. So whatever I watch in the garage will be the same in the bedroom.

[I'm back!]

Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickerNu View Post
With my Dish Network, a splitter on the coax between the satellite and box won't work. I have a 2 receiver system, and for my 3rd tv in the garage, I have a splitter between the box and tv. So whatever I watch in the garage will be the same in the bedroom.
You would need a SW44 switch to add another receiver.

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you have Dish Pro equipment you would need something like a DP34

I have been out of the dish circle for about 3 years now but at one time I had a 3LNB elliptical dish that picked up both DTV and Dish feeding 4 TVs. I had a nice collection of switches....lol

Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrewer View Post
I'm working on finishing my basement (yeah, just like last year...shut up, slapshot ) and we have DirecTV and a DVR, so we have two lines coming off the satellite into the house. I was told by a friend that regular cable splitters are a no-no and I ran two coax wires to every outlet in the basement for the DVR while running the electric.

He said something about a multiswitch. Any ideas/suggestions/where to get 'em?

Thanks.
If you install a multiswitch where the two cables enter the house from the LNB you just have to run one cable to each outlet.

The reason you can't just use a splitter is because one cable from the LNB picks up the even transponders and the other picks up the odd transponders.
The receiver selects which side of the lnb (which set of transponders) by outputting either 14vdc or 18vdc so the switch has to be a little "smarter" then a plain old splitter.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wihophead View Post
If you install a multiswitch where the two cables enter the house from the LNB you just have to run one cable to each outlet.

The reason you can't just use a splitter is because one cable from the LNB picks up the even transponders and the other picks up the odd transponders.
The receiver selects which side of the lnb (which set of transponders) by outputting either 14vdc or 18vdc so the switch has to be a little "smarter" then a plain old splitter.
Ok.

Thanks for the info, all!!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

we finally got internet and satellite TV after living here for over a year (regular bunny ears did us fine) but Verizon gave us a deal (well i'm sure it was a deal for everyone) for an additional $30 to our $60 phone, we can get internet and Dish Network, or was it DirectTV... I forget, but the deal was too good to pass up.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Quick Reply