Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Advice Needed Re: RUSH Shipping charges

View Poll Results: What is a FAIR Rush Order charge?
10-15% of order total ? 3 30.00%
Flat rate based on size of order? 4 40.00%
Continue NOT too charge for RUSH orders? 1 10.00%
Don't accept RSUH orders at all? 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
MMTG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Advice Needed Re: RUSH Shipping charges

My fellow HBT'ers: Sorry for the long read, but I need HELP!

I need advice regarding RUSH ORDERS and the additional charges that they often incur. I'd like to get as much information as possible before I make a final decision, so please weigh in with your concerns, for/against companies charging YOU, the consumer for RUSH ORDERS.

I am a small business owner who supplies Emergency/Trauma Gear to Fire/Rescue,Law Enforcement, and various Govt. Agencies worldwide. I sell both on Ebay and my through my website. I just celebrated my 3rd year in business and stand behind not only the products I designed, but also my companies customer service. I work as many hours as I have too when filling orders.

This is the problem I'm having as of late. I have had customers call my sales office and inquire if I ship their order the same day their pay. My website has a detailed FAQ page regarding our shipping times. I explain to them, that excluding large department orders we normally ship orders in 1-3 business days. We are closed weekends and holidays. The majority of the orders are shipped out within 48 hrs. I am proud of this.

I a fortunate to have an awesome "hardware" store by my shop called King Bolt-If they don't have a nut/screw/bolt you are looking for they will be happy to special order it for you. This often leads to customers panicking/pleading/demanding that they RUSH the special order. The owner(old school hot rodder) will assure them that it will be ordered and they can call the next business day to confirm pickup. I've seen people further freak out and whine/complain that,"it's not fast enough". The owner then points to an OLD dusty sign that reads: "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part".

I'd love to follow Austin Homebrew Shops shipping model of $7.99 flat rate on orders less than $100 and free shipping on all orders over $100-My system needs to be ugraded in the future to do this. I love that they charge ACTUAl UPS shipping charges if you order by a certain time of the day and need your order shipped that same day. I think this is VERY Fair.

My trauma kits range from $55-500.00, I need to figure out an reasonable amount to charge customers who need RUSH orders. Please share your ideas with me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've taken to ordering all my stuff via FedEx previous day overnight with guaranteed 10:30 AM delivery. That way if it's not what I want when it arrives, I just don't bother to order it.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Well, if your plan ultimately is to subsidize the shipping (the "AHS model"), what about charging actual shipping costs if it needs to be rushed out immediately? I'm assuming that your actual shipping costs will be somewhat higher than what you're going to be charging the customer. That subsidy is effectively only available if you can wait the 48 hours for processing.

That seems simple and easy to explain. "Need it today? I've got to charge you actual shipping costs, if you can wait for two days I'll only whack you $7.95."

EDIT: I guess reading your second-to-last paragraph again, that's what you'd like to do but can't because of systems limitations. In that case, I'd tack on a $10 - $15 "rush fee." I would do a flat fee; I'm assuming that it's just as much of a PITA and takes about the same time for you to rush a $55 sale as it does one that's $500.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
brewmcq

Recipes 

Liked 463 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 2527

Personally, I'm thinking an individual doesn't need a trauma kit RIGHTF**KINGNOW, but that could be because I already have one in my car... and I cxan't really see a department needing one immediately either.. that's just poor planning on their part (which sounds like my department.)

I guess it comes down to what you have for manpower and how disruptive it would be to the customer orders in front of the "rush" job.

Sorry I'm not of any help, but hopefully have given you some stuff to ponder.

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
jmendez29

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I voted for the 10-15% extra. I'm thinking that anyone who needs a rush order on a trauma kit is probably already too late to have one. With that in mind, they can just wait their turn in line to have theirs shipped, especially if you get most, if not all, orders out within 48 hours. Then, if they REALLY want to skip their place in line, they can pay an extra fee for the privilege. You may also put in some kind of caveat that if they explain a legitimate reason why they need it now, then maybe waive the extra charge - but still charge the actual shipping (next day air or whatever).

Everyone wants to feel special. If they don't want to pay for the privilege of being special, then they get to be normal like the rest of us.

Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:51 AM   #6
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

MMTG - I work for UPS. Would you mind if I had someone contact you regarding our services and offerings? If so, PM me your contact details. I"ll pass it along to an account executive in your area.

We may be able to help with your rush ordering and package handling. UPS does a lot in the health industry (e.g. Merc) where perishables are moved on a daily basis.

Ray

Old 05-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 112

My company charges $25 for same day shipping on top of shipping charges. We also have a $50 min order.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
MMTG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Well, if your plan ultimately is to subsidize the shipping (the "AHS model"), what about charging actual shipping costs if it needs to be rushed out immediately? I'm assuming that your actual shipping costs will be somewhat higher than what you're going to be charging the customer. That subsidy is effectively only available if you can wait the 48 hours for processing.

That seems simple and easy to explain. "Need it today? I've got to charge you actual shipping costs, if you can wait for two days I'll only whack you $7.95."

EDIT: I guess reading your second-to-last paragraph again, that's what you'd like to do but can't because of systems limitations. In that case, I'd tack on a $10 - $15 "rush fee." I would do a flat fee; I'm assuming that it's just as much of a PITA and takes about the same time for you to rush a $55 sale as it does one that's $500.

It actually is more of a PITA to rush a $500 order. Especially if it's a custom built Trauma Kit, or multiple purchases. For example, small volunteer SAR dept. needs several kits for an academy graduation that's this weekend.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
MMTG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmcq View Post
Personally, I'm thinking an individual doesn't need a trauma kit RIGHTF**KINGNOW, but that could be because I already have one in my car... and I cxan't really see a department needing one immediately either.. that's just poor planning on their part (which sounds like my department.)

I guess it comes down to what you have for manpower and how disruptive it would be to the customer orders in front of the "rush" job.

Sorry I'm not of any help, but hopefully have given you some stuff to ponder.
Well, you'd be surprised how thinly stretched many departments are and these kind of orders are often last minute after thoughts. Also, many people want Birthday/graduation presents for their loved ones in the EMS field and it's not like you can just go to Walmart and get my kits.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
MMTG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendez29 View Post
I voted for the 10-15% extra. I'm thinking that anyone who needs a rush order on a trauma kit is probably already too late to have one. With that in mind, they can just wait their turn in line to have theirs shipped, especially if you get most, if not all, orders out within 48 hours. Then, if they REALLY want to skip their place in line, they can pay an extra fee for the privilege. You may also put in some kind of caveat that if they explain a legitimate reason why they need it now, then maybe waive the extra charge - but still charge the actual shipping (next day air or whatever).

Everyone wants to feel special. If they don't want to pay for the privilege of being special, then they get to be normal like the rest of us.

Thank you for your insight! This is how I feel, but I wasn't sure that others would feel the same way. I as a consumer don't like to pay extra for "normal" service, but I will pay extra for expedited service.

Quick Reply