Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > A 50 year old fool Gives Thanks for antibiotics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 219 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default A 50 year old fool Gives Thanks for antibiotics

So on T-Day afternoon we're at Al's brothers house for round two. They live in NJ so we don't get there that often. Anyways, I don't ever remember seeing the trampoline in the back yard but they tell me it's always been there. So more than a little fortified with holiday cheer I climb up on the trampoline and started testing the springs for failure potential. (For those of you who've met me, you know what I mean. For those who haven't, lets just say my fat ass jumping up and down probably exceeded the "designed capacity." So I have a lot of fun, made everyone laugh, managed to do a flip, and didn't break anything.

As expected I woke up on Friday morning more than a little sore. No big deal, I used to feel the exact same way after playing a game of hockey in goal. (Although the trampoline has a bit more bounce than ice you get to wear a lot of pads.) The weird thing is my left elbow is the size of a baseball. Didn't hurt, not a bit of pain, just a big lump sticking out. You have these fluid filled sacs in your joints called bursa and I must have landed on mine just right (wrong) and it started to swell up big time. OK, NBD, the swelling will go away. It's not like I broke anything, right? I don't have a mark on me, absolutely no breaks in the skin for buggies to get in.

So by that night I'm nauseous, my arm is throbbing and I've got a fever. We got home to her Mom's after out day out and I go to bed by 7pm. Saturday morning we drive home and my arm is really bugging me. I can't straighten it out and I can't bend it. It's THROBBING and I'm burning up. As we get closer to home I call the hospital where I work to see who's the doc on in the ED that night. Well, the two who are on I wouldn't let take care of my dog, so I suck it up and go to bed. I wake up around around 7pm and call again. Luck was with me and the best guy in the dept was on, so I drive down there.

I've got a fever of 103, my arm is red and swollen from my shoulder to midway down my forearm, and I'm just sicker than sheet. I didn't even care that my collegues in the ED, where I worked for the past 10 years, are having great fun at my expense. At least they were until I took my shirt off and they got a look at my arm. My CBC showed a white count of 17 thousand! (Normal is 5-10)

My friend Steve tapped the elbow and took out 20 cc of puss. Nasty looking stuff like that ain't supposed to come out of you! So they start me on three different antibiotics, to cover staff, MRSA and all the anerobic nasties that are rolling around out there. They wanted to admit me but I opted to go home to the bugs that I know and love, no-one who is sick should be in a hospital, there are WAY too many nasties growing there. Besides my wife is a nurse practitioner, she'll keep me alive, right?

Today my fever is down under 100 and I don't feel like my eyes are going to pop out of my head. My arm is a little less swollen and the redness might be receeding. Of course all those antibiotics are making my crap my brains out, but at least I still have an arm and can still wipe my own arse. I went to see my PCP today and he told me to go buy a lottery ticket on my way home, I'm pretty damned lucky and might want to ride the streak.

Weird sheet, Mon.

So thank you to all the drug companies out there. You charge way too much for your stuff but this week, for me, it's worth it.

PTN

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
hungrymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

abcessed joint or just an abcess at the joint?

kind of an odd way to get the infection. From what you mentioned, you work in the ED. I would imagine that your skin is colonized with all sorts of nasty bugs. Probably broke the skin slightly and let them in.

BTW, I am completely paranoid about bringing home Germs from work. I leave my shoes outside, was my scrubs seperately (laundry not provided).

Old 12-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
LoneOakDesign
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

sounds pretty nasty. glad to hear it is on the tail end. not to sound insensitive or anything but, any pics???

Old 12-02-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct9335 View Post
sounds pretty nasty. glad to hear it is on the tail end. not to sound insensitive or anything but, any pics???

No, man it wasn't on his TAIL, it was on his ELBOW!!!!

BTW, no, pics are NOT necessary...................

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-02-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

We're still not sure if it is 'in' or just 'around' the joint. Cultures are still in micro should be back by now but weren't when I called. I'm seriously hoping for around.

I agree about being a bit paranoid about bugs. I've been down in the ED so long I figured I was immune to anything and everything. Then, three months ago I got RIF'ed and bumped out of my job and ended upstairs in the ICU. (I work in an elephant graveyard, nurses go there to die. I worked almost 11 years full time nights in the ED and I was the junior person.) So after the first week in the unit I started undressing just inside the door, bagging my scrubs and running upstairs to the shower. Those pt's up there got some way nasty sheet growing in them.

And Bernies right, no-one wants to see this nasty thing on this forum. JAMA maybe, HBT hell no!

PTN

I left out the worse part. For anerobic coverage my PCP started me on Flagyl. For those of you non-medical folks out there, the absolute LAST thing you want to do while taking Flagyl is drink alcohol, unless you like puking your guts out for hours and hours. And I haven't bottled my Sam entries yet!

Damn!

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Old 12-02-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Damn. Sorry about that, sounds like it completely sucks. These antibiotic resistant bugs like MSRA are pretty fricken scary.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:40 AM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 209

You are so lucky...I love trampolines.

Wish I'd have been there...

...best wishes for a speedy recover...

Good luck Jumpy Jumpmier...

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 12-02-2008, 02:47 AM   #8
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dewd, that sux.

This 40 year old is on Amoxicillin for a couple weeks because not one, but both my toddlers tested positive for Strep this last week. Yeah, the wife too (I wonder.....). I tested negative on the culture last Saturday. Either the kids or the ol' lady brought it home, but I'm a bit upset one way or the other.

Glad to hear you're doing better!

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 12-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
hungrymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I thought of you tonight, as I was wrestling a nearly dead homeless guy.

I was covered from my chest down to my knees in slimey dead skin cells and campfire smoke smell.

I know I cultured a few billion new bacteria on me. I ended up taking a shower at work and going home in a pair of pajama bottoms and a 3x scrub top that I scrounged out of the clean linens.

Insulin, beer (cheap beer), and narcotics. Are a helluva way to try to kill yourself. Plus I think I strained my back, trying to pull the person out of the car they drove up in. I grabbed ahold of their shirt, but it pulled off, so I tried to do a Georgia lift and the person had a cast on one arm. Making it a pita to lift them. So I ended up reefing him out of the car by his arms, then throwing them into a wheelchair.

On the plus side, at least they were not naked and awake and wanting to wrestle. Those people always make for a ****ty night.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hungry,
Nothing worse than wrestling some drunk smelly fool who, by the way, is a Constitutional scholar and will tell you in no uncertai terms how you are violating his rights.

Man I miss the ED. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Quick Reply