Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > 4 LHBS to choose from, 1 just took himself off the list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Wow, you're ACTUALLY pissed off about this?

A lot of gas stations and even restaurants in Michigan do the same thing, set a minimum cost (usually 10 dollars) on Credit card purchases. Since it actually costs THEM money to run CC's and that can add up, especially for a small business struggling to make it. All those 60 cent fees add up over a month, and if their stock and trade are gegaws and widgets that don't cost all that much (I've bought just a 1.50 dollar stopper on a lhbs trip once) can hurt.

I know one LHBS in metro detroit, that kinds says the same, would rather you pay cash for you 1.99 packet of bottle caps, or 2 dollar packet of yeast. They don't make a big stink about it. They'd still run the card. But they once asked me to do the same thing for a minor purchase, and did say that it does cost them. I felt bad, since the reason I was putting it on my card WAS because I didn't have enough cash, so to make it better for them, I got a couple more small things to get the tab above 10.00.

Since I want them to survive, I didn't make a big stink about it. They are great folks, and in Michigan's economy they have to do what they have to do.

*shrug*

I guess it's all a matter of perspective...but I would have gone above the minimum that they said they'd run it for you...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So is the charge a flat percent? Or is there a minimum that the credit card companies charge per transaction? Is this the same for debit vs. credit?

Sorry, kind of OT, but I have run into similar issues as I never carry cash. But, yeah, vote with your dollars. You should make sure he knows you aren't coming back. Sometimes small busines owners are shielded b/c they are owner and operator, but just like you can't have an employee being a jerk to a customer, neither can you.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

A lot of gas stations and even restaurants in Michigan do the same thing, set a minimum cost (usually 10 dollars) on Credit card purchases. Since it actually costs THEM money to run CC's and that can add up, especially for a small business struggling to make it. All those 60 cent fees add up over a month, and if their stock and trade are gegaws and widgets that don't cost all that much (I've bought just a 1.50 dollar stopper on a lhbs trip once) can hurt.

I know one LHBS in metro detroit, that kinds says the same, would rather you pay cash for you 1.99 packet of bottle caps, or 2 dollar packet of yeast. They don't make a big stink about it. They'd still run the card. But they once asked me to do the same thing for a minor purchase, and did say that it does cost them. I felt bad, since the reason I was putting it on my card WAS because I didn't have enough cash, so to make it better for them, I got a couple more small things to get the tab above 10.00.

Since I want them to survive, I didn't make a big stink about it. They are great folks, and in Michigan's economy they have to do what they have to do.

*shrug*

I guess it's all a matter of perspective...but I would have gone above the minimum that they said they'd run it for you...
It didn't seem to be so much about the minimum, he offered to order more DME to bring it up to whatever minimum they had, and the shop owner got an attitude with him.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
It didn't seem to be so much about the minimum, he offered to order more DME to bring it up to whatever minimum they had, and the shop owner got an attitude with him.
No he didn't the OP said this...

Quote:
The owner of the store told me he would rather the friend pay with cash because running the card would cost him $.40 for a $4.80 cent item. I told him I understood this and asked him to tack on the $.40 cents plus a small fee if he wished. Again he said he would rather have my friend pay. Flustered I said fine and goodbye.
That's really NOT the same imho, as finding out the credit minimum and paying it. That sounds more like, "fix it for me and here's a tip for you." And that sounds a little insulting to me.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
It looks like he tried:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt121
I called back and asked how much DME I would need to buy to let him charge my card, as I did not want to take a ride to the ATM. His reaction was to get mad and say "listen I need to make a profit here".
What I don't understand is why it makes a difference to the vendor if he's being charged a percentage of sales.

I mean let's say a vendor pays 3% per transaction. He sets a $10 minimum to "make a profit here". A person charges $10, the vendor pays $0.30.

What if he hadn't set the minimum and had 10, $1 sales? He'd pay $0.03 per sale.

Quick math? That's the same $0.30. And he'd probably get more sales overall by allowing the charges in the first place. And not anger his customers.

Now if it's a flat per-transaction fee PLUS a percentage (like Paypal) that's something different. But I don't think CC companies do that.

-Joe

Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4633 Times on 4315 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post

+1 Seems likely to me the keep didn't want to run it over the phone. And that is just lazy.

I am okay with the min charge. Fact is, I use my CC like a debit card and rarely carry cash at all.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4633 Times on 4315 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
It looks like he tried:

What I don't understand is why it makes a difference to the vendor if he's being charged a percentage of sales.

I mean let's say a vendor pays 3% per transaction. He sets a $10 minimum to "make a profit here". A person charges $10, the vendor pays $0.30.

What if he hadn't set the minimum and had 10, $1 sales? He'd pay $0.03 per sale.

Quick math? That's the same $0.30. And he'd probably get more sales overall by allowing the charges in the first place. And not anger his customers.

Now if it's a flat per-transaction fee PLUS a percentage (like Paypal) that's something different. But I don't think CC companies do that.

-Joe
some do. IIRC, Discover does a flat fee per block of transactions. Thus, the fee is higher the lower the number of transactions and oft times the shop keep pays that out of the profits.

At least, this is the way it is explained to me often as to why a shop opts out of taking Discover.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ah, it does appear there is a per-transaction fee (looks like around $0.25 / transaction).

So I can see the owner wanting to set a minimum (even if I don't agree with it. I'd rather have happy customers than an extra 25c). It should be clearly posted somewhere, though.

-Joe

Old 11-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #19
rtt121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
No he didn't the OP said this...

The owner of the store told me he would rather the friend pay with cash because running the card would cost him $.40 for a $4.80 cent item. I told him I understood this and asked him to tack on the $.40 cents plus a small fee if he wished. Again he said he would rather have my friend pay. Flustered I said fine and goodbye.

That's really NOT the same imho, as finding out the credit minimum and paying it. That sounds more like, "fix it for me and here's a tip for you." And that sounds a little insulting to me.
Admittedly I did not think he could react this way, maybe he did, though I truly did not try to come off that way. I manage a small business and I tried to come off as I completely understand, let me take care of the fee.

He does not have a set/posted minimum credit card amount.

Also, on the second call I did ask to simply raise the amount of DME, he took this as "I know this guy does not want this much DME, now I feel like a heel" but in fact I did want this much at that point and we started to go back and forth a little.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

*shrug*

That is ridiculous. He offered to pay the costs of the CC transation. Store owner didn't like that. He then offered to buy more, as to be above a minimum purchase amount. Both are resonable solutions. The shop doesn't want his bussiness.

Quick Reply