Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > 4 LHBS to choose from, 1 just took himself off the list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
rtt121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 4 LHBS to choose from, 1 just took himself off the list

This just is a rant because I am a little perturbed. Looking for some validation that I am not wrong here.

First off, I have 4 LHBS that are all about equidistant away and I try to frequent them all because I want them all to stick around. They are all valuable to me because they are convenient in that I can stop at each of them coming from any direction and usually don't have to make special trips for anything.

With that said, I called a LHBS today for 1 pound of dme, which was perfect because a friend was driving by and offered to pick it up for me. I wanted to pay for the DME with a credit card so my friend did not have to. The owner of the store told me he would rather the friend pay with cash because running the card would cost him $.40 for a $4.80 cent item. I told him I understood this and asked him to tack on the $.40 cents plus a small fee if he wished. Again he said he would rather have my friend pay. Flustered I said fine and goodbye.

I checked my wallet and now realize that I am going to need to drive to the ATM to withdraw cash as I have none on me.

This doesn't add up for me. I called back and asked how much DME I would need to buy to let him charge my card, as I did not want to take a ride to the ATM. His reaction was to get mad and say "listen I need to make a profit here". I then tried to get a 3 pound bag and he wasn't going to let me buy it because he thought I was just getting it because of the credit card issue, at this point I really wanted the 3 pounds. I got frustrated and sternly told him give me 3 pounds and charge my card.

I feel like I know full well about profits and I feel like I have gone out of my way at times just to patronize this specific store, just to give him my business.

He knows me by name, I have spent a lot of money in his store.

Rant finished, am I nuts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Nope. Life is too short to deal with bad service.

I have a local that I hated doing business with so much I'd buy bulk just to not have to deal with it often. Now, he's miraculously been replaced with an attractive blonde and it seems I may be there more often.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nah. He needs to make a policy ($0.75 charge on anything under $10 or w/e) and stick to it or expect customers to get frustrated and leave.

On Deck: Chav Irish Red
Pipe Dreams: Chai Porter
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale

Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
rtt121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you.

It sucks because I did not hate doing business with him. But this was very aggrevating.

He sorta a hippy, he said something along the way about the credit card company making a profit.

I think the issue was either he did not feel like writing down the cc info and running it OR he has some overly passionate thoughts against credit card companies.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't have an issue with small stores charging extra for low dollar credit card purchases. On the other hand, I have a policy of asking for discounts if I pay for cash for large purchases. It is interesting that many stores will accept, or make a counter offer. I usually ask for 3%. If they say no, I use a credit card.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
JorgeIsKing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Actually, if I am not wrong, isn't it illegal to set a minimum purchase amount to use a credit card?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
JorgeIsKing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeIsKing View Post
Actually, if I am not wrong, isn't it illegal to set a minimum purchase amount to use a credit card?

I really should have done this BEFORE posting, but some quick google-fu came up with this:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...terms-1275.php

Apparently it's not really illegal, but against their agreement with the credit card companies.

If you really wanted to be vindictive, you could contact the credit card company.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2812 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Tell him thank you, you'll go to one of the other 3 shops withing 3 minutes and buy it then. because they're not picky about how their customers give them their business.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
rtt121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice View Post
I don't have an issue with small stores charging extra for low dollar credit card purchases. On the other hand, I have a policy of asking for discounts if I pay for cash for large purchases. It is interesting that many stores will accept, or make a counter offer. I usually ask for 3%. If they say no, I use a credit card.
Interesting.

Quote:
There are a lot of places by me that have minimum amount before you can use a card. Also, most gas stations have 2 prices one for cash and one for credit.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
rtt121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeIsKing View Post

If you really wanted to be vindictive, you could contact the credit card company.
Not worth it. I'll take the high road I think.

Quote:
Tell him thank you, you'll go to one of the other 3 shops withing 3 minutes and buy it then. because they're not picky about how their customers give them their business.
Thank you is all I will say. I am buying from him multiple times per month. He will figure out I'm not around sooner than later.

Quick Reply