We had our second child 3 years ago. With growing a business and 2 young children, I took a break from brewing.
I did my first batch in 3 years tonight. It is an American Wheat. Everything went wrong. I somehow got some grains under my screen during mash and had a stuck sparge even with a pound of rice hulls and 1.5 quarts of water. I had to pour my mash tun through a colander to get the wort out. I wad able to clean the screen and batch sparged the rest.
During my boil, I ran out of propane. I grabbed the propane from my grill (after 10 minutes trying to loosen it) and the ran out of gas on that one. After I got another tank from the store, I started boiling and had a boil-over when I added hops.
The water running through my wort chiller is warmer than I thought. It will not be 68 at least until morning.
I feel like I started over again (minus the kits). At least I still brewed all grain. I will try again next weekend.
Keg 1: American Wheat
Keg2: German Ale
Next up: Christmas Old Ale, American Wheat AG, need suggestions