Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > 15 things craft beer fans think but don't say

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I would have to agree with most of the items on the list, such as the impending movement of focus to more local breweries, for those lucky enough to have a selection. Although there are plenty of people that have the passion but lack the technical knowledge to produce good beer. (Disclaimer: I am not perfect and have had a batch or two turn out not so great due to my lack of control of some variable).

Discuss.

http://firstwefeast.com/drink/15-things-craft-beer-fans-think-but-nobody-says/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
edds5p0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

Thank you for sharing this article. I honestly feel like every point the author made is very true. I feel like this should almost be a sticky that every new member of the forum should read to help get some perspective. I really don't want the world of craft brewing to become as exclusive and haughty as the world of fine wine, and I see an underlying theme in the article of this happening.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:31 AM   #3
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 53

"My face is permanently puckered from hop bomb brews and those funky Belgian beers taste like old socks. -

I'm dying for a Bud."

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
thatjonguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
"My face is permanently puckered from hop bomb brews and those funky Belgian beers taste like old socks. -

I'm dying for a Bud."
Said no one ever.

Sorry I couldn't help it. American Lagers have their place.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:05 AM   #5
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Great article! It's humbling to see that I myself am guilty of one or two things on that list. It should be required reading every six months or so.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
Tupperwolf
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

This is a great article. The only thing that surprised me was the "all brewers are white" section. I don't think I've ever pondered on the race of the brewmaster while sipping a pint, craft or macro. The rest of 'em I agree with.

I used to write beer reviews on BA, and while it was really great for developing my palate, I could have accomplished the same thing with a notebook or Word file. The description of it being like Yelp for beer is a good comparison, and as much as I'd love to get my hands on some Heady Topper thanks to the hype, I'm rarely let down when I visit my local breweries for what they make.

Bottles: Weedwhacker Wheat, SimCity IPA, MO/Cascade SMaSH
Primary: Sasquatch Imperial Stout, Bee Cave Kolsch
Next to brew: Some sort of enamel-melting IPA and a nut brown

Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
thatjonguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post
This is a great article. The only thing that surprised me was the "all brewers are white" section. I don't think I've ever pondered on the race of the brewmaster while sipping a pint, craft or macro. The rest of 'em I agree with.

I used to write beer reviews on BA, and while it was really great for developing my palate, I could have accomplished the same thing with a notebook or Word file. The description of it being like Yelp for beer is a good comparison, and as much as I'd love to get my hands on some Heady Topper thanks to the hype, I'm rarely let down when I visit my local breweries for what they make.
I want some Heady Topper for the yeast. And the beer. But mostly the yeast.

Make A Wish (bMAW) thread for brewery swag/merchandise!

Untappd: thatjonguy

Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Honestly, I never thought about Craft brewers all being white. I guess craft is like the NHL of beer.

Then again, how many black people brew for Big Beer?? How many women brew for craft breweries? How many Asians??

I'd like to see a list of ways minorities are prohibited from becoming good brewers, or for getting brewer positions in a beer company. I suspect that there just aren't that many minorities interested in learning how to brew good beer and make a career out of it.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I really hate the irrational claims based on how many Whites, Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, women/men are in a certain field. It is a logical fallacy, if few of a race, ethnicity or gender take part in an activity, to blame the activity, or those who take part in it, of being racist. I guess we could say: "No men are seen by gynecologists, so there must be some conspiracy against men among gynecologists."

As for the stuff about drunkenness, etc. I have been brewing since 2004 and have enjoyed craft brews since long before that time. The last time I got even close to drunk was in 1991.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
ladodger34
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Pretty interesting article, but one little quibble I have is that the author seems to appreciate conformity to a bit. He (or she) wants one simple definition for IPA or trumpeting the Weihenstephan even though it has kind of stifled creativity in Germany a little bit.

Or the complaint that craft breweries experiment too much. I don't necessarily disagree with that, but they do need to experiment a bit. For the Inland So Cal folks, Hangar 24 has a pretty stable line up of their "flagship" styles. They nailed the Orange Wheat, the Alt-Bier is pretty good, Chocolate Porter is freaking amazing, the IPAs are pretty good, etc and they all taste pretty damn consistent. Their seasonal beer is a dubbel brewed with dates right now. Haven't tried it, but it seems a little experimental to me and it could be great.

I would like to see a couple of the local breweries really focus on making at least one good beer. My buddies and I went to a place a few months back where everything had like crazy high ABVs and it just wasn't enjoyable (and we love Stone as a group, so we aren't opposed to higher ABVs). It seemed like the place was more interested in making big beers rather than making good beers.

Quick Reply