Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > 0 min Hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
Hopper77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Default 0 min Hops?

What does this mean! I've never known. I'm doing a bath tonight that calls for one ounce of cascade for 0 minutes. Anyone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 785 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

add at flame out

Old 03-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper77 View Post
What does this mean! I've never known. I'm doing a bath tonight that calls for one ounce of cascade for 0 minutes. Anyone?
You're taking a bath with hops? Weird.

Sorry, couldn't resist. 0 minutes means add at flameout.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's also called the flameout addition. It is just what it means, and the end of the boil, you turn the heat off and drop in the hops. The idea is that you will get hop aroma without driving off the essential oils of the hop which are volatile, and can be lost in a boil.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
Hopper77
Recipes 

Thanks for the fast replies! I wish I could take a bath with hops! So I add them at flameout....do I leave them in to ferment? Or remove once the wort has cooled?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You do what you normally do with your beers. If you're the kind that dumps everything in the fermenter, you do so, if you're the kind that strains their beer, then strain, either way is fine. Neither way affects the beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
Hopper77
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick replies everybody. Just started my sparge. After 3 years of brewing I finally know what that means. I never thought to ask. Whenever a recipe called for it usually just add at 5 mins. Thanks again!

Quick Reply