Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > Why start fermentation at higher temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Okay, so yesterday I racked this to secondary to free up my primary for a brown ale. I took an SG, which turned out to be 1.019. Target SG is 1.012. The taste is good, with no noticeable off flavors. Why would the SG be off that much? OG was 1.054 vs. expected 1.046. I'm hoping it finishes a little closer to expected FG during secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiedog View Post
Okay, so yesterday I racked this to secondary to free up my primary for a brown ale. I took an SG, which turned out to be 1.019. Target SG is 1.012. The taste is good, with no noticeable off flavors. Why would the SG be off that much? OG was 1.054 vs. expected 1.046. I'm hoping it finishes a little closer to expected FG during secondary.
when's the last time you took gravity? You should really leave it on the yeast until you get stable readings over a few days. What made you think it was time or that it should be "done" right now? The last few points can take some time. At this point, moving it to secondary reduced the available yeast, so you might want to raise the temp a few degrees and pray to the yeast gods. Ideally it would have been better off to finish in primary first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

higher OG can result in higher FG dep on the attenuation range of the strain

mash temp etc could be a factor as well

try keeping it in the mid 60s for a few more days to see if it goes down any more before lowering to lagering/lower temps

Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #14
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Took gravity sample 2 days ago when racking to secondary. It had been in primary for 17 days, including 4 days d-rest at 58-60F. Sounds like I should have just left it in the primary at that temp for a few more days, and taken gravity reading before deciding to rack it. There was little or no activity from the airlock that I could tell. I wanted to make the primary available for an ale, but I know now I should have waited. Warming it up now (as you suggested), to see if it will finish lower.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

What can be done with a beer that has been bottled but tastes too sweet because it didn't fully ferment do to under pitched yeast? Are the remaining sugars still fermentable?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

That's the way I brew my Kolsch,,, low 60's for a week, a Diacetyl rest for 2 days and then lager...

Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well this Pilsner ended up with an FG pf 1.018 and has a taste that is too sweet. It was only my 2nd batch and I didn't know what to do at the time, so I bottled it and hoped it would improve with bottle conditioning. After 3 weeks bottle conditioning at 60 - 70F, and 1 week in the fridge there is not much improvement. I'm wondering if a few more weeks cold conditioning will help it, or am I just wasting time and fridge space?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

There is some hope for this Pilsner. The last bottle sampled tasted not sweet, but yeasty. So I'll let it chill for a month and try it again. I guess it does pay to be patient.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

DPBISME, I've been wanting to try brewing a Kolsch if I could find a good AG recipe. Except for descriptions I've read, I really don't know what Kolsch is like, but a lot of people seem to like it. Fermentation temps in the low 60's, would be fairly easy for me to maintain right now.

Quick Reply