*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > Why start fermentation at higher temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Why start fermentation at higher temp?

The Classic Pilsner extract kit that I am fermenting came with Saflager S-23 yeast (51-59F). The kit instructions said to hold fermentation temp at 60 - 68F for 3 days, then drop down to 50F for 4 weeks. Is this normal for Pilsner or this yeast, or are the instructions wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

it is used to compensate for a smaller starting yeast culture

fermenting warmer is likely to result in a less clean flavor profile that could require extra lagering

ideally you would pitch a large yeast starter or multiple packets of dry yeast based on mr malty or yeastcalc, aerate well and pitch at or just below your target fermentation temperature

Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thank you. I guess that explains why the instructions say that after the 3 days at 60F to hold it for 4 weeks at 50F. Will the 4 weeks at 50F clean up some of the flavor? It has been in primary now for 2 weeks, and has just finished a D-rest. Ready to rack to secondary. Is there more that can be done to improve the flavor profile?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

you can leave it at the d-rest temp for a few extra days if it tastes like it still has some off flavors - once you start lagering at mid-30s or so the yeast won't be cleaning up the byproducts as much

Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Haven't tasted it yet, but will probably check SG and taste in a day or so. Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

IDK why, but yeast mfrs recommend the weirdest crap. Most of us here pitch on the LOW end of the spectrum (with proper pitching rates, ie. multiple packs or vials if needed, or a starter of adequate size). Letting the beer warm when it's almost to FG is fine and even desirable with lagers. After the Diacetyl rest, you'd then lower a lager down to near freezing (say high 30's) and let it clear for a good long while, if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Oh i know! But I'm not in California, crap.

....just add water.....

Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Actually it is the brew kit instructions from a HBS that say to ferment between 60 - 68F for the first 3 days. Also, no mention of a starter or re-hydrating the yeast.

This is what I have done so far:

Brought to room temp. and re-hydrated 11.5g pack of Saflager S-23, pitched at 72F
59 - 60F for 3 days, then dropped it down to 48 - 50F for 8 days
58 - 60F for 4 days D-rest
now at 49F; can hold 48 - 50F, but no refrigeration available yet - maybe in 1-2 weeks

Would like to rack to secondary to free up primary, but can wait another week if that is advisable? Thanks so much for all the advise.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiedog View Post
Actually it is the brew kit instructions from a HBS that say to ferment between 60 - 68F for the first 3 days. Also, no mention of a starter or re-hydrating the yeast.

This is what I have done so far:

Brought to room temp. and re-hydrated 11.5g pack of Saflager S-23, pitched at 72F
59 - 60F for 3 days, then dropped it down to 48 - 50F for 8 days
58 - 60F for 4 days D-rest
now at 49F; can hold 48 - 50F, but no refrigeration available yet - maybe in 1-2 weeks

Would like to rack to secondary to free up primary, but can wait another week if that is advisable? Thanks so much for all the advise.
Kits are notorious for being misleading. I'd guess that most of the experienced brewers on this site pitch at the lower range of ferm temps and let the beer slowly do it's thing, then raise temps as it nears final gravity (to clean up, for both Ales and Lagers). Some don't raise the temps at the end, but for lagers in particular it's a good idea for D-rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sounds good. You guys have some good advice and a lot of experience. This is a great forum for beginners like me to learn form experienced brewers. I'll do the best I can with this batch and give it some time. I'll be a little smarter when I ferment the next one. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply