Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > SD Fair competition - gap between drop off and judging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Default SD Fair competition - gap between drop off and judging

I entered a few beers a couple years back where the procedure was drop off and judging onsite same day.

I was looking at the info for this years comp and noticed that dropoff is June 2 but judging isn't until June 30.

Was this just changed this year?

I know there is often some delay between deadlines and drop off but 4 weeks is a lot of time for a beer to be sitting around, particularly hoppy entries.

Not sure if I'll be entering this year again or not, will depend what styles I have ready to go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
brettg20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
I know there is often some delay between deadlines and drop off but 4 weeks is a lot of time for a beer to be sitting around, particularly hoppy entries.
World Cup of Beer drop off deadline was the 15th or 16th of Feb and the final judging isn't until this weekend, that is about 4 weeks. Most competitions seem to be at least 2-3 weeks.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

If I don't have to stand in line for two hours to drop off, I'm OK with the waiting four weeks to judging. I know that participants get a free ticket, so is it good for the entry date or judging date?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
igotsand
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think its from the hb drinking going on at the event...the vendors aren't makin money..
Good times tho!!
Also you don't get any of the beers back from the comp either.

That line sucked last year when registering the beers so I guess that's a plus of not doin this year.

Igotsand

Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotsand View Post
I think its from the hb drinking going on at the event...the vendors aren't makin money..

Igotsand
I think it had more to due with permitting and them not being able to control under age drinking. But I will miss hanging out and drinking the friends looser beers.

If you want to drink some home brew sign up to be a steward, Im sure they will need some. I judged last year and will be judging this year too. When ever I judge, if a beer is not heading on to the mini best of show, but is good we tell the stewards that they should try this one. And if its a really bad one we tell them its awesome!

The past few years the competition has really grown, I think there where 1200 entries last year, and 900 the year before.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
BeastMaster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
I think it had more to due with permitting and them not being able to control under age drinking. But I will miss hanging out and drinking the friends looser beers.

If you want to drink some home brew sign up to be a steward, Im sure they will need some. I judged last year and will be judging this year too. When ever I judge, if a beer is not heading on to the mini best of show, but is good we tell the stewards that they should try this one. And if its a really bad one we tell them its awesome!

The past few years the competition has really grown, I think there where 1200 entries last year, and 900 the year before.
Which categories dont have a ton of entries normally?

"I'd like to say I don't drink their beer out of principle, but the truth is, they just make crappy beer."

Old 04-23-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think the entries mirror what goes on at NHC, so European amber lagers,amber hybrids and dark lagers. they might have the stats listed on the web site.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...s/2012-winners

Old 07-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
igotsand
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

How did everyone do at the comp this year?
Anyone place?

I entered 5 beers this year and 3 ribboned!!!

First place in Belgian and French ale(16), also fourth place(wife entered for me) both were saisons..
And third place in the smoked/wood(22) for my 3year old BA RIS....

Sooo stoked!! Sorry had to gloat

Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Nice! Good job!

I thought about entering this year, but the only thing I had ready was my DIPA and the day of registering I had one and it didn't taste good (First brew on my new system). I had another one the same day as the judging and it improved greatly! Maybe not good enough to place (especially in that category) but oh well...

I also got the invite to Judge, but I have had so much going on the last month I couldn't justify spending a day drinking at the fair.

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 07-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I entered three and felt strongly about my Mounds Porter at least placing. It did not. 23A must have had quite a few entries. My cream ale was a little green and my IPA was too bitter without enough hop flavor or aroma to balance it out. I can't wait to see the scorecards. Congrats with the first place entry. I am brewing like Jehu in order to get bottles ready for other comps!

Quick Reply