Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > SD Clubs - CHUG, QUAFF, Society of Barley Engineers - any opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Au111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default SD Clubs - CHUG, QUAFF, Society of Barley Engineers - any opinions?

Considering finding a club for the usual (talking about brewing, sharing beers) and learning a bit more about scaling up to a larger system than I currently have.

Is one of the clubs more active than the others? More welcoming? More experienced? It's hard to tell from the websites.

I'm not looking to promote trash talk - just curious how these groups differ, if at all.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Welcome to HBT!

I've been curious myself, been brewing for years now and have yet to join a club.

Where in SD are you?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Au111
Recipes 

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in north county, coastal (in the beer dead zone we have around here), but "have beer, will travel."

Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

QUAFF is the most active and experienced. I know that some of the other clubs were started by people who didn't care for QUAFF but that has happened in every city with a long standing club.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
QUAFF is the most active and experienced. I know that some of the other clubs were started by people who didn't care for QUAFF but that has happened in every city with a long standing club.
Well, sure. I mean it happens with everything. The day CHUG becomes a long standing club is the day I pull the plug on it.

I started CHUG last year just to enter a competition that was club only. Now we have occasional outings and I would really like to get more into actual brewing events. I guess it really all depends on what you're looking to get out of a club. We have a site, can answer anyone's questions, I have a standing invitation to teach anyone all grain brewing, and I know a few things.

QUAFF will provide you with all that, but you get to pay dues and hang out with old dudes with mustaches who don't understand jokes. There are exceptions, but I just don't find myself being so serious.

I know some people in Foam on the Brain and they're nice. Not sure I know any Barley Engineers.

I'd say that there will be at least one person in any group that could answer all your questions. You're welcome to check us out. If you're a douche or not a good fit in regards to personality, we fully expect you to realize this and not come back. We're not trying to be the biggest or the best. We're all just friends.

Edit: Most of our meetings (all) are in the central area of San Diego. Hamilton's and Blind Lady have been the winners so far.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Au111
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Thanks!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Au111
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
Well, sure. I mean it happens with everything. The day CHUG becomes a long standing club is the day I pull the plug on it.

I started CHUG last year just to enter a competition that was club only. Now we have occasional outings and I would really like to get more into actual brewing events. I guess it really all depends on what you're looking to get out of a club. We have a site, can answer anyone's questions, I have a standing invitation to teach anyone all grain brewing, and I know a few things.

QUAFF will provide you with all that, but you get to pay dues and hang out with old dudes with mustaches who don't understand jokes. There are exceptions, but I just don't find myself being so serious.

I know some people in Foam on the Brain and they're nice. Not sure I know any Barley Engineers.

I'd say that there will be at least one person in any group that could answer all your questions. You're welcome to check us out. If you're a douche or not a good fit in regards to personality, we fully expect you to realize this and not come back. We're not trying to be the biggest or the best. We're all just friends.

Edit: Most of our meetings (all) are in the central area of San Diego. Hamilton's and Blind Lady have been the winners so far.
I happily travel down to Blind Lady every now and again. Hmm, maybe today will be an 'again'...

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #8
StoneFan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post

What part of town do you live in?

I definitely don't mind driving out to BLAH......but I'm in east county

Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFan View Post
What part of town do you live in?

I definitely don't mind driving out to BLAH......but I'm in east county
I'm in South Park. Like 3 blocks from Hamilton's.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 AM   #10
jeffl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm a member of QUAFF, Barley Literates and CHUG.

QUAFF is massive. If you want to bring a beer to share plan on bringing 2 gallons for everyone to get a taste. The members are extremely helpful and will help you brew your beer to win competitions. They routinely sponsor tastings where judges will advise you on how to improve your beers, ciders, and meads. And they are currently sponsoring a BJCP training group. I attend 3-4 meetings per year.

Barley Literates is a much smaller group. 2-3 12oz bottles will give everyone there a taste of your beer. Being a smaller group it is much easier to get to know people and hold round table discussions. I attend the monthly meetings regularly.

And CHUG has no ``official'' membership. They hold occasional meetings when the mood strikes the group. Unfortunately I have not been able to attend a single one yet as I've been out of town for each and every one of them.

Joining QUAFF, Barley Literates, Foam on the Brain, or the Society of Barley Engineers will get you a 10% discount at most of the local home brew shops.

Quick Reply