Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > Oceanside water vs De-ionized water.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Photopilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Oceanside water vs De-ionized water.

I am looking to fire up my brewing rig again. Can anyone suggest what I need to do to the local water to start brewing English style beers IPAs Porters, etc?

I have an Reverse Osmosis De-ionized water rig I am rigging up for my fish tanks. Can these filters help remove chloramines and whatever else I need to remove. The first filter is 5 micron sediment and the second is 5 micron carbon. I was thinking of tapping water from the filter from there for brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

1st step would be to get your water tested by ward labs or you could try checking with one of the local breweries Oside Aleworks or Breakwater or possibly asking the guys at Hydrobrew if they know the water composition for the area.

If you decide to use RO water check out this thread for suggestions on getting started: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply