Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > I want to sell my home brew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #21
cwdrake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Wasn't there a brewery kickstart on here within the last couple of years?
Pipestone started out from a Kickstart campaign. They were just awarded Best New Brewery by RateBeer.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #22
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Wasn't there a brewery kickstart on here within the last couple of years?
There has been several brewery kickstarters here over the years. I am talking about someone having a Kickstarter campaign to fund their HOMEbrewing. As long as you aren't giving out beer as "rewards" I don't see the problem. You can have various brewing gifts for your supporters...stickers, t-shirts, bottle openers, brew sessions, etc. This way they can support the homebrewery, get a little schwag, and not feel bad when I give them free beer. I give away a lot of beer and won't/can't accept money when people come over for a growler fill. It makes a lot of people uneasy to just get free beer and not reciprocate in someway. Of course even if they didn't donate they would get free beer.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 02-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #23
Thegreatestgray
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

*sigh*

Because ANY medium of exchange, either explicit or implicit for homebrew is ILLEGAL...there' s no if and or butts about it. Any little way you think you can circumvent a very simple law....that selling HOMEBREW is illegal.....Is Illegal.

This HOBBY isn't one like knitting, or canning fruit or painting rocks, where you can sell your wares at the local craft fair. You ever hear about a little "experiment" called prohibition? Because of that Alcohol production is one of the most regulated thingsin North America and for moral issues, probably the entire planet. So much so that even the hobby of homebrewing beer, was still illegal in 1976 over 40 years AFTER all the other aspect of prohibition was over turned. And the biggest thing in the phrasing of the law that made it legal (except for the states where it is still illegal) is a little phrase "personal consumation" and it little mention about how selling or trading it or whatever you may think you can get away with, is ILLEGAL....
I didn't think it would be legal but maybe in the gray area of the law but thank you for informing me and everyone else who had the same idea.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #24
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

no "gray area" at all where alcohol and taxes are involved

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #25
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have to wonder if some government agency watches sites and threads like these. I know I have seen a few that people were selling their brew by donation.

Simple thing to do is just dont break the law.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #26
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
I have to wonder if some government agency watches sites and threads like these. I know I have seen a few that people were selling their brew by donation.

Simple thing to do is just dont break the law.
You are right...just don't break the law. However I seriously doubt the government watches sites like these. The "rate of return" is just too low for them to bother. Much easier for them to audit the books of existing, licensed breweries looking for beer that didn't get taxed then to try and find homebrewers who "sell" their beer.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #27
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
You are right...just don't break the law. However I seriously doubt the government watches sites like these. The "rate of return" is just too low for them to bother. Much easier for them to audit the books of existing, licensed breweries looking for beer that didn't get taxed then to try and find homebrewers who "sell" their beer.
That, and the ATF hasn't had a meaningful budget increase in a long time and without a director for 6 years now (thanks NRA!)....I doubt they have the time to look at places like this either.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #28
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

don't need a human to crawl these sites, just need one to release the spiders

(disclosure: I worked for the S&T division at ATF back before 9/11. they are not stupid people working there. well... not anymore)

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

People Like This 
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #29
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

The only way I have heard about getting around the selling part is if you per say throw a party and do it that way. Instead of calling it a party you would call it a beer judging event and all judges would ahve to pay an entry fee to judge. Although if it really came down to it that probably wouldn't hold up in court.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #30
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Revenuers will still be interested in unreported income

remember... Capone didn't do time for bootlegging, it was for tax evasion

but, you're much smarter than the Taxman and Capone, right?

Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply