Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > Headed to San Diego for a family trip, need help for beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Headed to San Diego for a family trip, need help for beer

I will be taking a long weekend trip to San Diego with the family, an anniversary trip actually.

So this is not a beercation but I am sure I can sneak in a trip or to to a great bottle shop and a dinner/lunch or two at a brewpub or restaurant with a great beer selection.

So what are some good options? I am trying to find a hotel near the zoo. I am guessing we will be doing the zoo and/or wildlife park and/or sea world. Where would a good place to stay be with those locations in mind?

What is the best bottle shop or store for local beer?

What is a good kid friendly brewpub or restaurant with a good selection of local beer?

Thanks for your input!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
brettg20
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you can make it to Stone you won't regret it. Take a tour, eat at the restaurant...they have local beer on tap.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You will LOVE the San Diego brew scene! Stone is a MUST! I'd also recommend Oggi's for pizza and great beers, Green Flash brewery, oh and Slater's 50/50 burger is out of this world and they have about 100 beers on tap. Try their bacon brownie as it is out of sight!! Oh, and Yardhouse, and...well you get the idea. Check this web page out too: http://sandiego.about.com/gi/o.htm?z...com/index.html

There are also several tour companies that will take you to all of the better breweries on a day trip. Did I mention you must go to Stone??

Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
mrkrausen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Not sure it if you can work it out with the family, but White Labs is in San Diego. I'm trying to make a trip out that way this year and would love to visit their tasting room.

I'm in over my head...fortunately that's right where I like to be.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettg20 View Post
If you can make it to Stone you won't regret it. Take a tour, eat at the restaurant...they have local beer on tap.
I should have given more info, I have been to SD before and been to stone twice. Haven't done the tour yet though but we did have a nice dinner there with the fam one year and that is a good option if we can get in in a descent time

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer View Post
You will LOVE the San Diego brew scene! Stone is a MUST! I'd also recommend Oggi's for pizza and great beers, Green Flash brewery, oh and Slater's 50/50 burger is out of this world and they have about 100 beers on tap. Try their bacon brownie as it is out of sight!! Oh, and Yardhouse, and...well you get the idea. Check this web page out too: http://sandiego.about.com/gi/o.htm?z...com/index.html

There are also several tour companies that will take you to all of the better breweries on a day trip. Did I mention you must go to Stone??
nice suggestions, I was thinking of Oggis or Pizza Port actually. I think there is a good amount for the kids there. That burger place looks awesome, not a kids menu specifically but we could figure something out. It's also about the atmosphere. The wifey won't go for a bar atmosphere with the kids, it works for lunch but not for dinner with a crowd. I have figured this out during previous trips to San Diego and Denver/fort collins etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrausen View Post
Not sure it if you can work it out with the family, but White Labs is in San Diego. I'm trying to make a trip out that way this year and would love to visit their tasting room.
I definately want to do the White labs, tasting bar someday but I will have to do that without the fam on a guys trip someday

Old 02-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

what about bottle shops, what is a good one either in near Escondido or down near the zoo?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
hopstupid
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Pizza Port is awesome also check out http://churchillspub.us/ checkout their bottle list & taps on the website it's very affordable get the fish & chips

Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #8
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Pizza Port or BevMo have great selections. I think BevMo is pretty much going to have anything you want and they have great prices.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
jlajr2483
Recipes 

Bine and vine is in north park Kensington area just down the street from the zoo. That is your best option without going out of the way.

My bar build thread

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-build-5-0-ge-fridge-wine-chiller-274938/

Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlajr2483 View Post
Bine and vine is in north park Kensington area just down the street from the zoo. That is your best option without going out of the way.
nice, we will be staying near point loma On Saturday night so I should be able to find some good stuff near by. In Escondido for the previous 2 days.

Quick Reply