Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > Going to San Francisco for a week. Need suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Going to San Francisco for a week. Need suggestions.

Leaving out early Tuesday morning to spend my birthday in San Francisco. I'm lazy and still haven't charted out everything I wanted to do. Wanted to come here for some suggestions. Plus anything not beer related that's a must see would help a lot, too.

Thanks.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You'd feel right at home in the Castro, I bet

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 07-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Monk's Kettle

Old 07-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

The Exploratorium! OOAK....
Outerlands. Kinda out there, but it's right on (N (line)) Judah.
The Alembic.
Toronado (and Rosamunde!).
Gordon Biersch.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So what's the best/cheapest way to get around? We're staying in the Mission Area, one block away from the 16th Street Mission BART. I've also seen the Muni system.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 07-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You're staying a block from the 16th street BART?!?!? Are you bringing a gun?

BART is fine for getting around the bay area, but not specifically San Francisco. It only has one line through the city. If you're headed towards civic center, Union Square or the financial district it works fine. Chinatown and North Beach are both easily walkable from the BART. Muni works okay, but, San Francisco is actually a very walkable city. From where you're at the Castro, it is worth visiting, and the lower and upper Haight can both be walked to in less than an hour.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
So what's the best/cheapest way to get around? We're staying in the Mission Area, one block away from the 16th Street Mission BART. I've also seen the Muni system.
A gun and body armor who made these rezzies for you? jk, you should be ok, just be aware of your surroundings. Hang out at City Beer a bit, not too far from where you are staying. Huge bottle selection you can get poured and a rotating selection of casks as well. Lots of us beer geeks hang there. The public transportation system is great in SF so you shouldn't have a problem getting around.

If I was too drunk to remember it, it didn't happen.

If you got a good liver.. use it! - wife

CopperCat Brewery

Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Muni's pretty easy. And as Shooter says, if you're willing to climb some hills, the city's actually very walkable. SF is a small city, so you can get to wherever you want to go without much hassle.

For beer things:
Monk's Kettle is literally 2 blocks from where you're staying. They have a pretty nice selection. Toronado's about a 20 min walk. I also love Magnolia, in upper Haight, which is about 10-15 min from Toronado.

Non-beer things:
There are non-beer things?! Ok, kidding - I second the Exploratorium. It's a one-of-a-kind place. It's also pretty close to Chrissy Field, which is a great place to walk and will take you right under the GG Bridge. Definitely walk around Chinatown (and get lunch or dinner at House of Nanking! Don't order off the menu, just ask them to bring you stuff!) and North Beach. Go up to Twin Peaks and admire the view. Walk down 24th st in the Mission. Grab a burrito and look for Balmy Street - it's a little alley off of 24th where people have been painting awesome murals for years and years. Try to get some Blue Bottle coffee, or, if you don't have time, Ritual Coffee (which is very close to where you'll be staying).

If you really want something special, take a day and hike around the Marin Headlands. Make sure you hang out until late afternoon, then find a place to sit and watch the fog come in over the GG Bridge. It's amazing.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
Monk's Kettle is literally 2 blocks from where you're staying. They have a pretty nice selection. Toronado's about a 20 min walk. I also love Magnolia, in upper Haight, which is about 10-15 min from Toronado.
You're also not too far from Amnesia on Valencia, between 19th and 20th. Used to be my normal, every Saturday night, hang out when I lived in the city and it was only a five minute stumble back to our apartment from there!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Speakeasy Brewery !
fridays it is open to the public from 4-8pm. fyi it is in a crummy part of town & i'd leave before dark -- but I'm female (+ buncha hoodlums broke into a # of our cars when I was at the nearby soccer field).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/speakeasy-al...-san-francisco

Quick Reply