Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > Brewpubs/beer bars in Los Angeles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
Madvillain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Brewpubs/beer bars in Los Angeles?

Hey everyone, I tried searching for this but couldn't find much. I'm moving to Los Angeles next month and am looking for any awesome brewpubs or beer bars in the area. I'll be in the Larchmont area but am willing to travel for a good pint! The last issue of BYO mentioned Red Car Brewery and Restaurant in Torrance, so that's on the list. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

There is nothing on my horizon except everything. Everything is on my horizon - Dwight Schrute

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 13

www.beermapping.com
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 05-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Madvillain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow. That is so many kinds of awesome. I will be busy for months! Thanks!

There is nothing on my horizon except everything. Everything is on my horizon - Dwight Schrute

Old 05-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have always like Henry And Harry’s Goat Hill Tavern in Costa Mesa. You may be blown away by the wall of taps!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 52 Posts

The Red Car is in my neighborhood. Let me know if you end up there. In all, LA is not a great beer place. You'd think there would be tons of brew pubs with the population here, but it's the complete opposite. The pbs that are here are all out in the suburbs, and LA is a huge place. The Red Car is great and there is another brewpub down in San Pedro called oddly enough, The San Pedro Brewing Co.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Madvillain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
The Red Car is in my neighborhood. Let me know if you end up there. In all, LA is not a great beer place. You'd think there would be tons of brew pubs with the population here, but it's the complete opposite. The pbs that are here are all out in the suburbs, and LA is a huge place. The Red Car is great and there is another brewpub down in San Pedro called oddly enough, The San Pedro Brewing Co.

It is kind of strange that there aren't many more brewpubs in the LA area, but I'm moving from Honolulu where there's only a couple bp's and one of those has mediocre beer at best. I'll definitely end up at Red Car sometime during the summer, maybe I can buy you a pint. I'll also check out San Pedro Brewing Co. June 6-10 I'll be in the bay area watching my Red Sox play the A's in Oakland and going to a Giants game on Saturday. Can't wait to check out some of the brewpubs in SF as well!

Old 05-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Madvillain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy
I have always like Henry And Harry’s Goat Hill Tavern in Costa Mesa. You may be blown away by the wall of taps!
I will be sure to check this place out as well. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:03 AM   #8
borntobrew
Recipes 

Couldn't pass up this discussion without mentioning BJ's Restaurant. Not sure how close to Torrance they get but I go to the one in Huntington Beach and the beer is awesome. They got about 6 regular brews and some seasonal ones. One is a Maibock which I can't wait to duplicate once I can lager. Also their stout is immense and smooth. I credit them with getting me re-interested in homebrewing. I know they have a brewery in Brea and a few other pubs about the area.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:19 AM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

LA has its own set of building codes, they don't subscribe to the UBC or UL either. Makes construction a PITA.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-21-2007, 02:26 AM   #10
San_Diego_Matt

Recipes 

I know this is a bit old, but there's a place called Naja's in Redondo beach that's owned by a former Stone employee that has an enormous beer selection.

We used to live within a 2 minute walking distance of the Red Car in Torrance and When new, their beer was OK and they had just come out with their IPA by the time we moved and it was definitely worth your time, but it's definitely a place to not miss. The food isnt typical prew pub food, but oh my goodness was it good.

We also used to frequent a place in El Segundo called The Richmond Bar & Grill. It's a little beer/wine/food place on Richmond Street and the owner was always a hop head and would have a 5 gallon rotator tap that he'd swap out with IPA's about every day.

If you're in the Pasadena area, there's an emglish pub called Lucky Baldwin's that has incredible english food and a pretty insane list of belgian beers on tap and in the bottle

Matt

Quick Reply