Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > Brewing in Los Angeles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #31
rorymcg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've only used my filtered water from my sink and they've turn out great for both extract and all-grain.

Primary: DF Head IBA & KT
Secondary: RIS, Skeeter Pee, Viking Blood Meat Mead, & Pinot Noir
Bottle Conditioning: JAOM, KT, & Chilean Cabarnet Sauvignon
Kegged: Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale
Drinking: Welch's Grape Juice Wine, German Apfelwein, Oatmeal Stout, Caramel Amber Ale, Citrus IPA, & Belgian Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #32
Worts_Up
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tasted the uncarbed APA after taking a hydrometer reading at 11 days into fermentation. Tasted far from toxic farts, so that's good. Unfortunately it's sitting at 1.019FG where the beer math puts it closer to 1.012, which means about 66% attenuation. Planning to bottle this weekend if it's still sitting at 1.019.. I'll chalk up the poor attentuation to poor oxygenation at pitching (didn't shake it violently enough).

Old 10-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
zero_gabe
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1140
Just my opinions... 1. Looking for the best water in LA is kinda like looking for the best smelling fart. Our tap water is pretty hard so I almost always cut it with some RO water from a dispenser and add lactic acid and CaSO4 and/or CaCl2. And the tap water in Glendale is treated with chloramines so I also hit it with some potassium metabisulfite (which I always have around for wine making). For something like a pale ale, I might use 50% RO. I might use more for a lighter style and less for a darker style. 2. I'd probably try the shop in Woodland Hills for keg stuff, or make a road trip to MoreBeer in Riverside. 3. On your way there, stop at Star Restaurant Equipment on Sepulveda in Van Nuys for spoons and strainers.
Hey jealker1140. How many grams of which water softener do you use per mash? I want to try softening my water (west LA tap). I want to see what it does to my beers since right now im just using straight from the tap with some campden tablets. Also what happens it i tun my water through a carbon filter?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #34
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_gabe View Post
Hey jealker1140. How many grams of which water softener do you use per mash? I want to try softening my water (west LA tap). I want to see what it does to my beers since right now im just using straight from the tap with some campden tablets. Also what happens it i tun my water through a carbon filter?
It depends on the recipe, but for my last American pale ale I used 3 gal RO, 4 gal tap, 2 grams calcium chloride and 2 ml lactic acid. That gave me an estimated pH of 5.5, calcium of 57 ppm, chloride of 95 ppm and sulfate of 100 ppm. I use the EZ water calculator to dial it in. I heard on some podcast that Firestone-Walker shoots for 100 ppm chloride and sulfate, and this seems to work well for most of the styles I make.

Can't answer your question re: filters. I should probably take another look at them, but for whatever reason I decided some time ago that buying RO water from a dispenser at $0.25/gal made more sense for me. YMMV. Separately, you may want to consider buying a small jar of potassium metabisulfite when you use up your campden tablets. Same thing, but cheaper and easier to work with, IMO, especially if you can weigh out grams.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #35
B2Barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_gabe View Post
Cutting with RO water can help deal with our water hardness-alkalinity issues we have here in l.a. A carbon filter won't do much for either of these issues. It is however handy to remove chlorine. If you're doing extract, that's all you really have to worry about. If you're doing all grain, you may want to look into RO.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:37 AM   #36
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Barleywine View Post
It is however handy to remove chlorine.
But unfortunately most tap water in the LA area contains chloramine rather than chlorine, and run-of-the-mill filters won't get rid of it. Odds are you'll still need to dose your filtered tap water with potassium metabisulfite.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #37
Worts_Up
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

APA has bottle conditioned for a week, so I put a bottle in the fridge for 4 hours to carbonate and cracked it yesterday.. Little sweet for an APA (didn't aerate enough and the yeast attenuated a little poorly), but I'm looking forward to sharing it in a swap!

Old 11-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #38
Stubblejumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You should be able to find your water report online. I am in Claremont and Golden State Water is my provider. They keep the data online. Google "ez water", there is a free spreadsheet that will do the calcs for you.

I put a Pur charcoal water filter on my faucet and that helps. Campden tablets take care of the chloramine. The water is about ph 8, so darker ales and stouts which use some roasted barley generally perform a little better. A few ounces of acidulated malt will lower the ph. Boil your strike water first will also soften it. Palmers "How to Brew" has a good chapter on it.

Kegged: Munich Helles, Bottled: Barleywine, Brown Ale, Agave Ale, Pumpkin Ale
Primary: English IPA, Secondary: Cyser, Light Cider
In the mashtun: Imperial Stout.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:03 AM   #39
Stubblejumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another way to get rid of chloramine is to fill you carboy and set it in a sunny area for a few days. Its a photosensitive chemical.

Kegged: Munich Helles, Bottled: Barleywine, Brown Ale, Agave Ale, Pumpkin Ale
Primary: English IPA, Secondary: Cyser, Light Cider
In the mashtun: Imperial Stout.

Quick Reply