Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > best beers of NHC 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #31
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesimps View Post
Also, they supposedly have great BBQ

It's far better than average for the West Coast. Does not compare well to average Carolina/Memphis/KC/Texas 'cue though. Definitely good food. My wife's BLAT was outstanding. Great bread, great tomatoes (in June? gotta love California), great bacon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #32
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Well that and the Olive Wheat Beer that won category 21, but I had to drink that because I was judging. It was awesome (as was the second place Jalapeno IPA which an HBT member entered).
Was that with salted brined green olives? Because when we saw that come up on the screen our entire club/table turned to each other and said WTF?!?!?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #33
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Framboise de Ambrosia is the LA Raspberry sour. It was $15, I bought 4.
that was it, amazing stuff, I am on a quest to make a beer like that now

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesimps View Post
Yeah, their mongo is really good! That reminds me, I found this place before we left town called Pubcakes and we had to hit it; check out their I can't believe it's not mango cupcake that has mongo in it - http://pubcakes.com/PubCakes/Flavors.html . I'm vegan, so got the Punkin' vegan, but my buddies got one of each flavor, so will look forward to hearing what they thought, but mine was so flavorful and good; how can you go wrong with something that has Old Stock in it?
sounds interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
I got a taste of that. It was good...really good.

Soperbrew's IPA in the hospitality booth on Friday was awesome.
yes, I didn't really consider myself a mead guy before this trip but man there was some good ones including the prickly pear and even Saccharomyces 24 day old Serrano and coconut one was great!
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #34
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreals View Post
I almost forgot the Utopias Clone
Oh crap! How'd I forget the Utopias clone? Who brought that? Cape?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #35
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Was that with salted brined green olives? Because when we saw that come up on the screen our entire club/table turned to each other and said WTF?!?!?
Yep. Awesome beer.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #36
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
Oh crap! How'd I forget the Utopias clone? Who brought that? Cape?
Yes that was good but certain people with sexy nurse avatars might let it go to their head.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #37
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Yes that was good but certain people with sexy nurse avatars might let it go to their head.
Good point! Yep, that Utopias clone, no good, I could barely gag down the first sip without decorating Gremlyn1's patio with bacon wrapped, bacony goodness. I did NOT like that beer!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #38
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cape_Brewing's Consecration clone was quite memorable because NORAD is still tracking the cork. I don't know if I have ever seen a beer that carbonated in my life.

PTN's U1 clone sucked as much as I anticipated it would (0% suck coefficient, in fact). I had very few homebrews during the conference, since there was so much great mead around. The sour brown at the CHUG booth I think took the prize for best homebrew. The 2003 Alaskan Smoked Porter was un-freakin-believable, and the Tupelo sack mead from Moonlight Meadery was so good I ordered a 60# bucket of Tupelo honey that should be in later this week... I'm going to make a 1.120 sack mead with D-47 and transfer it to my Rumble barrel to age for six months. I will bring some to next years NHC in Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I forgot to mention, I was really impressed with sacc's 22 day old meads.

I would be very interested in a post detailing the process used from start to finish.
I posted the details in AZ_IPA's thread over in the mead forum. Once I get that base mead dialed in I will add it to my dropdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 06-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #39
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I posted the details in AZ_IPA's thread over in the mead forum. Once I get that base mead dialed in I will add it to my dropdown.
Here's the thread Sacc was referring to.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #40
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
The 2003 Alaskan Smoked Porter was un-freakin-believable, and the Tupelo sack mead from Moonlight Meadery was so good I ordered a 60# bucket of Tupelo honey that should be in later this week... I'm going to make a 1.120 sack mead with D-47 and transfer it to my Rumble barrel to age for six months. I will bring some to next years NHC in Seattle.

now I'm really mad I didn't go to the smoked beer and mead lectures
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Quick Reply