Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > 2011 San Diego NHC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #471
PseudoChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
They're not a club and like I was saying before, they'll just continue to be met with a ton of eyerolls and sarcastic, "congrats. Bang up job guys" comments while 40 people who've never met each other rush the stage and high five each for winning a total sham of an award.

No one is saying they aren't a great "forum that many homebrewers use to further their hobby"... all people are saying is its a total sham for them to win "club of the year". And really? These folks are that hard up for some sort of an award that they have to game the system so they can have a " yeaay, we won club of the year" logo on the website??

Again, bang up job guys. Congrats.
That's fine and a valid argument. I was just find it hilarious that someone thinks bylaws and what-not are required for a club. If your club is all uppity like that, then it's probably not the club for me. Everyone's different, that's all I was trying to get at.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #472
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
That's fine and a valid argument. I was just find it hilarious that someone thinks bylaws and what-not are required for a club. If your club is all uppity like that, then it's probably not the club for me. Everyone's different, that's all I was trying to get at.
Wow, didn't realize having bylaws made a club all uppity. I guess I'm seriously going to have to rethink my club. Maybe not, I probably will bring it up at the next meeting though. Hey guys, it has been brought to my attention that we are all uppity. Why would we be like that?!?!?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #473
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

At CHUG we define uppity!

The more I think about it , with the BN winning, I just feel home brewing and the AHA is going through growing pains. when I first started brewing, I did not know very many people at all who brewed, but now half the people on my block brew. I love it! but also with a advent of social media and the what not the definitions of "culb" have changed.

Personal I don't compete much, and when I do my beers don't do so well. I get the comment "This is maybe closer to such and style but its a great beer" a mostly. But from what I see and hear the it seems that for a lot of comps are a bit overwhelmed and the quality of the judging can be questionable. I think this is a much more important thing to start looking at in the future.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #474
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Wow, didn't realize having bylaws made a club all uppity. I guess I'm seriously going to have to rethink my club. Maybe not, I probably will bring it up at the next meeting though. Hey guys, it has been brought to my attention that we are all uppity. Why would we be like that?!?!?
Haha...I can tell my thoughts aren't being conveyed very well on these here interwebs. It was the whole laundry list of "this defines a club" that I found amusing - I'm just offering a counter-viewpoint.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #475
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
Bylaws are important!

Yah CHUG is probably one of the most uppity clubs in San Diego for sure. You can tell by their by-laws. LOL

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 07-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #476
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT View Post
Yah CHUG is probably one of the most uppity clubs in San Diego for sure. You can tell by their by-laws. LOL
I think that list is missing our 5th by-law:
Quote:
Thou shalt be uppity.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #477
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

What's really classy about the CHUG bylaws is the ring at the bottom of the page where someone rested their glass/can/bottle. It shows that, when it comes to beer, they mean business!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #478
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think that was from our Emperor's (Carnevoodoo) pint he chugged in 0.25seconds...Nautical nut brown from Ale smith I think it was.

Come to think of it there is the one by law that is not on that, if you can chug faster than the emperor you become emperor,but i guess thats just and unwritten law.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #479
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
What's really classy about the CHUG bylaws is the ring at the bottom of the page where someone rested their glass/can/bottle. It shows that, when it comes to beer, they mean business!
That is the stamp of approval!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
I think that was from our Emperor's (Carnevoodoo) pint he chugged in 0.25seconds...Nautical nut brown from Ale smith I think it was.

Come to think of it there is the one by law that is not on that, if you can chug faster than the emperor you become emperor,but i guess thats just and unwritten law.
We know it'll never happen, so we didn't really need to write it down

Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #480
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
Well I guess my old "club" wasn't one at all. We had no regular meetings, no dues, didn't host a competition or BJCP exams. We had no charter or bylaws. But, they ARE recognized by the AHA. We just got together and brewed every now and then. Two Mid-South Homebrewers of the Year came from our <10 person club. My club allowed me to take home a silver in the second round of the Nationals in 2009.
Where can I sign up for this club? I want to be a member of your club.

NHC 2011 pics

NHC 2010 pics

Quick Reply