2011 San Diego NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subscribed reminder post. I already have an AZ trip booked in May but you never know...

So what package are you all getting? Does everyone get the full conference package?
Or just the Social one?

If I go, this will be my first NHC so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Definitely go for the full registration, especially because you are local and won't have to pay for lodging. The seminars are really informative and the ones where you get to sample beers are a lot of fun.

Last year there was one where we tasted four or five Belgian triples all brewed with the same recipe but different Sugar (corn, inverted, cane, and candy sugar...maybe one more). That was really informative.

Is it true that most years there is a 'fad' (for lack of a better word) such that a lot of beers in the Specialty category are in the same fad-style?

If so, what was last year's fad beer?
What's likely to be this year's fad beer?

About 10% of the beers in our competition this weekend are category 23. Lots of black IPA.

I judged 23 last weekend and didn't get a single black IPA out of 8 beers. But the judging was broken down into 4 panels because there were so many 23s. I kept making fun of the style and then never got to drink one!

There should be some type of HBT gathering arranged during the conference. Perhaps a lunch or something one day. Maybe one of the San Diegoans should pick a day, place & time?

Also if anyone wants my cell # so they can contact me when I'm at the conference, just send me a PM.

I judged 23 last weekend and didn't get a single black IPA out of 8 beers. But the judging was broken down into 4 panels because there were so many 23s. I kept making fun of the style and then never got to drink one!

I judged 23 at ours, we had about 5x8. My partner and I got 1-2 black IPAs. One had lengthy "special ingredients/process" that ended with "of course it is black". It was medium brown at best which is fine (I prefer the crystal/chocolate Janet's Brown/WTF type IPAs to the 12 drops of sinimar in the bottle ones) but kinda funny.

As for an HBT meetup, my wife (KCWorthog here) and I will be there all week but I think between hopefully taking the mead exam, the BJCP reception and BNA6, Wednesday is shot for us. Would love to meet any of you at the conference though if a pre-party doesn't work out.

There should be some type of HBT gathering arranged during the conference. Perhaps a lunch or something one day. Maybe one of the San Diegoans should pick a day, place & time?

Also if anyone wants my cell # so they can contact me when I'm at the conference, just send me a PM.

Depending on how many people are interested, I can probably host it at my place; it's 15 mins from the Town & Country. I'm taking both Thursday and Friday off of work, so any day should be fine (maybe not the day of Club Night, depending on set up requirements - not sure which day that is though). There is also the option of Sunday since the conference finishes Saturday, but I don't know when people were planning on going back home...

Was thinking the same thing. Who's up for HBT T-shirts !!!!

The SWMBO and I will be there. Just the flights left to book. Looking at getting to SD on Tuesday night and leaving Sunday morning. I would love to get together with other HBTers.

Hey guys, this would be my first NHC, and can someone give me some insight on what to expect? I'm kind of in this no-man's land where I'm too far to commute back and forth each day, and not quite far enough to make springing for a hotel room worthwhile (roughly 80ish miles each direction). If/when I go, I definitely want to get a hotel so I can crash there each night.

But more to the point, what exactly goes on at these things? Other than drinking lots of homebrew and getting blathered? I've heard a little bit about some of the professional talks given, and that sounds cool. Is this a true convention with vendors peddling cool little brewing trinkets and what not? What can I expect to see at the NHC?? Thanks for any help!

You want a hotel room at the event site. If for no other reason than that the lines for the men's restroom are insane (the few women who attend probably have better public restroom access than at any other point in their lives). All you will do in the hotel room is sleep, shower, and use the toilet so consider trying to share one to cut the cost.

Wednesday there are non-conference events including the BJCP reception and the Brewing Network Anniversary Party. Thursday-Saturday during the day there are technical sessions. There will be an exhibit room with vendors. B3 will have their conicals out there, Sabco will have a Brew Magic, Blichmann will have all of their stuff (last year he brewed outside of the hotel on a top tier system one afternoon). There is always (other than during the evening events and from maybe 2am to 8am) a hospitality room opening with rotating shifts of homebrew clubs pouring beer.

Thursday night is pro brewers night which is a pretty nice beer fest basically, except in a hotel ball room and the lines are extremely short and the pours are large.

Friday night is club night and it must be experienced to be understood. If pro night sounds good, club night is much better.

Saturday is the banquet and awards (the competition final round is judged Thursday).

Still available to hold a gathering at my place at some point. I know time will be tight, but we could do a mid-morning to lunch thing one day?

You want a hotel room at the event site. If for no other reason than that the lines for the men's restroom are insane (the few women who attend probably have better public restroom access than at any other point in their lives). All you will do in the hotel room is sleep, shower, and use the toilet so consider trying to share one to cut the cost.

Wednesday there are non-conference events including the BJCP reception and the Brewing Network Anniversary Party. Thursday-Saturday during the day there are technical sessions. There will be an exhibit room with vendors. B3 will have their conicals out there, Sabco will have a Brew Magic, Blichmann will have all of their stuff (last year he brewed outside of the hotel on a top tier system one afternoon). There is always (other than during the evening events and from maybe 2am to 8am) a hospitality room opening with rotating shifts of homebrew clubs pouring beer.

Thursday night is pro brewers night which is a pretty nice beer fest basically, except in a hotel ball room and the lines are extremely short and the pours are large.

Friday night is club night and it must be experienced to be understood. If pro night sounds good, club night is much better.

Saturday is the banquet and awards (the competition final round is judged Thursday).

Thanks for the info! I'm a pretty avid listener of the BN, so the BNA party is a semi-must. I'm also really interested in the banquet. There are 4 different tickets, with quite different amounts.. I can't decide which one to go with. Any suggestions?

Go for the whole thing if you can make it, the seminars are fun and informative. There are quite a few hotels in that area so if you can't get a room at the TC there are plenty of options close by. I did not notice a big line up to use the can at NHC last year, some times between seminars it was a little bad but nothing too bad.

The hospitality room is cool for a while, but i cant imagine hanging out there all day, with out going to seminars.

My brother did that last year, he went for the full package this year.

Who is going to be there on the 15th?

I couldn't get a room for that date so I am debating whether I want to try and get one somewhere close by and then move for the rest of the conference, or just drive down the morning of the 16th.

I am pretty tempted by the pub crawl on the 15th.

Soperbrew and I, I'm assuming Sacchromyces as well; will be pub crawling on the 15th...

Bought my ticket for the pub crawl bus. I plan to get to the conference hotel around 3pm on Wednesday.

I plan on getting into town the Sunday prior and working from the office there for a few days, so anybody who wants to meet up before the conference for some beers, shoot me a PM.

No it's kind of all over the map so far as I can tell. I have only had their stuff due to doing a couple of bottle shares with some local folks who brought some along.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how they got it because I don't *think* they do growler fills or anything.

Also, I went ahead and booked a room for the 15th. I really would like to do the pub crawl and thought I'd treat myself for my B-day.

No it's kind of all over the map so far as I can tell. I have only had their stuff due to doing a couple of bottle shares with some local folks who brought some along.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how they got it because I don't *think* they do growler fills or anything.

Also, I went ahead and booked a room for the 15th. I really would like to do the pub crawl and thought I'd treat myself for my B-day.

Hess does growler fills.

I will be attending with my club. I am driving our kegs out from CO. Should be there early Wed afternoon. Look forward to seeing you all again!

If you bring me a 12 pack of Compass IPA (Bristol Brewing Co.), I'll bring you something you can't get in CO, but I can in AZ (though, that's likely nothing :()

Back