Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > Hawaii HomeBrew Forum > Soperbrew is coming to Oahu!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 128

When I lived in HI I always knocked back the Kona brewing selection, of course I lived on the big island, in the town of Kona, so the beer was pretty much everywhere.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

We took a trip to the big island last year and hit up the Kona tour, which is a 15 minute tour of the facility followed by multiple samples. We ended up staying for lunch and trying a few more beers. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Pipeline Porter and the new Koko Brown, but those are seasonals. I remember drinking a lot of the Lavaman Red Ale on tap at one of our hotels. The place over in Hilo, formerly Mehana, but under a different owner now, had a small tasting room and a couple of interesting beers. Of course, this doesn't do you as much good on Oahu, but I'm sure many of those beers will be available there. The Maui Coconut Porter is also a personal favorite of mine.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
T-minus 5 days to Oahu! I've had Big Swell IPA & like that. I don't think I've had the Coconut Porter yet so I'll be looking for that. Where will I find it on tap in Oahu?
Maui's Bikini Blonde isn't too bad.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 128

While there I am sure that you will be going to Pearl Harbor, do me a favor while on the USS Arizona memorial, slap around some tourists who dont have enough respect to remove their hats while on the site. pissed me off every time I went there.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

BigHefty Likes This 
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 15

3 days to Oahu! Beer & beach!

NHC 2011 pics

NHC 2010 pics

Old 07-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #16
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Daily bump....mostly just to brag that I'll be in Hawaii soon.

NHC 2011 pics

NHC 2010 pics

Old 07-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #17
BuckeyeBell
Recipes 

I have lived here for the past year, and since I was raised on Great Lakes Brewing Company I have been less than thrilled with the beer out here. (Also I am huge Belgian tripel fan, but it's just not popular out here)...

Maui Brewing Company is the best local kine. Kona Brewing Company is pretty decent. The Wailua Wheat (brewed with passion fruit) is the current KBC seasonal brew. It's pretty tasty and very easy to drink. You should try at least one while visiting.

YardHouse (Waikiki) has a lot of nice beer on tap. I go there to get my Unibrou Trois Pistoles fix. It can be pretty touristy. Also Bar 35 (Chinatown) has a great bottle selection, but it's pretty clubby feeling on the weekends. The Varsity (University Street) is my favorite place. Prices are the reasonable and you can get most local brews on tap and by the pitcher. It is definitely a college bar though. The Liquor Collection (Ward Shopping Center) is your best bet if you want pick up some good beer to drink in your hotel.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #18
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Thanks Buckeye. Let me know if you can meet up for a beer this weekend. I should be able to check my PMs on my phone over there.

NHC 2011 pics

NHC 2010 pics

Old 07-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #19
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

16 hours to Oahu! 6 hour plan ride with a 6 & 3 yr old. Should be interesting.

NHC 2011 pics

NHC 2010 pics

Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #20
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
16 hours to Oahu! 6 hour plan ride with a 6 & 3 yr old. Should be interesting.
We made the ride to the big island last year with a 4 and 2 year old. I loaded a few movies on the iPod and brought some surprises for them and they did great.

Quick Reply