Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > Hawaii HomeBrew Forum > equipment supplier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
mendozer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default equipment supplier

I know there are brewers here on the islands and was wondering if there is enough business interest to allow some minor expansion to my family's company. They sell mainly food service parts, but deal with some of the same suppliers of homebrewing equipment like Perlick. I was thinking about adding a small display of items to the sales floor consisting of:
Blichman ready fitted kettles
perlick faucets and shanks, parts or whole assembly
weldless fittings for QD or barb for home made kettles
maybe gas disconnects for kegs.

and other general items that you guys basically have to order online. There is one LHBS that I know of on the entire island, homebrew in paradise. However, their stuff is crazy expensive and we can get a much lower freight cost than he can. So I'm just testing the waters here to see how much interest there really is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
jamason_2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Sobering new to the island, I have shopped at HBIP. He is crazy expensive for hardware. He has decent prices for grain, considering that it's an island and not mainland. If you could get a burner for less than a hundred or a wort chiller for about the same I would be game!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

when i was brewing down here i made my own wort chiller for like $50-60. Would have been like $30 on the mainland but the copper coil was pricey at the Lowes here. I'm trying to think how many keg too. It wouldn't be worth the trouble only to order propane burners, kettles, and chillers.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
ohai
Recipes 

I'd definitely be interested. I pretty much get everything from HBIP but there's always room for a little competition. Shipping from Midwest or NB etc is always a killer, too.

My 25' IC cost about $40 with parts from lowes. Doesn't work worth a damn on my 12Gal batches though

Old 09-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
jamason_2000
Recipes 

So no crap there I was, Midwest supplies was doing flat rate shipping for 3 days only. New ss wort chiller, 18 in mash paddles, and two kits for less than the price of one HBIP wort chiller. I will still go to HBIP when I need grains and such, but Midwest also gives a military discount. Still looking for empty kegs tho..... Lol

Old 09-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
ohai
Recipes 

Damn, sorry to hear I missed that. The wife would have killed me for everything I would have bought. Every so often I fill up my 'cart' and proceed to checkout just to see what shipping looks like. I then empty the cart back out in the most solemn of ways thinking about what might have been. Then go to NB and rinse, and repeat. Sad days

What kinda kegs you looking for? I ran a Craigslist ad for about two months and ended up with 5 sankey kegs @ $30 per. I got quite a few replies but a lot of people wanted more for them but I held my ground and refused to pay more than their deposit. I got my keggles built and have two extras for 'other occasions'.

If its corneys you're after, best of luck. I got my four with the purchase of a Craigslist keezer. Almost never see them advertised here. I found one place about six months ago, believe they were out of Texas, was gonna be about $45 shipped each. If you're interested I can dig around and find them again.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohai View Post
I then empty the cart back out in the most solemn of ways thinking about what might have been. Then go to NB and rinse, and repeat. Sad days
haha that's great. boy you guys are going to hate me for this. I live up Seattle now and go back to hawaii occasionally. I got 8 ball lock corneys for $150 and 5 pin locks for $45. I ended up selling the pin locks for more plus the soda dispensing machine that came with the 8 ball locks. It is hard to find corneys in Hawaii for sure. I feel like we have a very small homebrew movement and when people brew, they bottle b/c its cheaper and they don't wanna take the leap into kegging.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
jamason_2000
Recipes 

Looking to make keggles. I have one, looking for at least two more. One will be my primary and the other I am going to use for something. Poss a mlt once I get fully into all grain....... Doing extracts now not been too bad so far.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
ohai
Recipes 

Yeah man, try running a Craigslist ad. It worked out pretty well for me, albeit in the long run. Only thing to watch out for is the excess of Heineken kegs, which are a bit smaller than the 15.5. Whereabouts on-island are you? Been thinking about trying to get some group brews together. HoPS seems more about going out to bars and such which doesn't really suit me so much.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #10
ohai
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer

haha that's great. boy you guys are going to hate me for this. I live up Seattle now and go back to hawaii occasionally. I got 8 ball lock corneys for $150 and 5 pin locks for $45. I ended up selling the pin locks for more plus the soda dispensing machine that came with the 8 ball locks. It is hard to find corneys in Hawaii for sure. I feel like we have a very small homebrew movement and when people brew, they bottle b/c its cheaper and they don't wanna take the leap into kegging.
I'm not one to hate! At least some people out there are getting some decent deals

Quick Reply