The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North West USA > Oregon HomeBrew Forum > OR/WA Group Brew v3.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #81
gplutt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I went about 730 or so....got a seat around 745..man that place always packs em in during their festivals...I only had one Hair of the Dog beer, Bob, which was excellent. I probably should have tried a couple more from them. Had a Cantillon Geuze, and then had a Full Sail Bourbon Barrel Porter (it was on cask...and I have a weakness for cask conditioned beers).

Kegged: Stout

Barrelled: Oregon Group Brew Stout
Long term Secondary: Fool's Gold Barleywine
Next: Bohemian Pilsener

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 06:47 AM   #82
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 2682 Posts
Likes Given: 112

How's she coming along Brian?

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 02-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #83
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Finally, someone has asked and I get to go pull a sample....

OK, there is some nice funk on the top layer as expected. Can't see a whole lot, what with a small hole and it being filled just about as much as it can be. It's sitting at about 1.012 right now.

Color is pretty nice looking dark brown with a little red tint to it. Honestly thought it was going to be a bit darker, but I like it. There is some earthy/horse blanket in the nose as should be expected. Great body to this beer. I feel like the first batch was a little thin, this one seems to have improved. And I think I'm liking the flavor on this one better too. A little more mellow. Not so tart and in your face, but it's there up front. And what I really like is the roasted malts come through in the end. They allow the sour/tart to hit you first, but then come back and hit you at the end asking you to come back for more. I have an issue with some sours being only sour and having to choke them down. This one keeps begging me to come back for more.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #84
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Excellent, glad things are coming along nicely.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 02-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #85
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for going through the hardship of checking ;-) Good to hear the beer is turning out well.

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey

Old 08-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #86
explosivebeer
Recipes 

Hey Kilted,

I just realized it's been awhile so I thought I'd see how this batch is coming along and if you have a date in mind to drain and possibly re-fill the barrel.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #87
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ya know, I was thinking about the batch the other day too. Definitely in for helping re-fill!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #88
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

I haven't done a darn thing with this bad boy since February, but I can take one for the team and pull another small sample. My thoughts on this one is to brew up the base beer again and then blend. I still have a TON of the first version and I'm sorry to say I just can't get into it. I think blending will help.

As for draining I was thinking an October date again. Giving it a good year to be int he barrel. No thought on refilling...and not sure I'm game for that. If anyone else wants to take the barrel I'm more than happy to help get it out of the basement.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #89
explosivebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Brewer View Post
I haven't done a darn thing with this bad boy since February, but I can take one for the team and pull another small sample. My thoughts on this one is to brew up the base beer again and then blend. I still have a TON of the first version and I'm sorry to say I just can't get into it. I think blending will help.

As for draining I was thinking an October date again. Giving it a good year to be int he barrel. No thought on refilling...and not sure I'm game for that. If anyone else wants to take the barrel I'm more than happy to help get it out of the basement.
Cool. Let us know how it's changed. And yeah, the previous beer has an interesting popcorn character that I'm not entirely digging. But blending can pull that down and let other things come through. Really, for me though, it needs much more tartness.

As for the barrel, I've got a barrel rack set up (this link may or may not work: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...6036&ref=album) and could fit another barrel on there if there are no other takers. But if someone else can use it, by all means, go for it.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #90
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Just pulled a sample and going back over the notes from the last taste. The color on this is really amazing to me. In certain light I swear it has a rich cherry red, in others just a dark brown. But really nice.

The roast has backed off a bit but still says hello on the finish. There is a nice tartness (not sour, but tart) on the front end. Maybe a little lemony. But there's also a bite to it that doesn't feels a little off. I think that's what is wanting me to blend this with something. Or maybe there's a battle between the roasted malts and the bugs? Jury is still out, but I am enjoying this one better than the first batch.

Quick Reply