Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North West USA > Oregon HomeBrew Forum > Oregon Brew Crew Announces New Homebrew Competition, The “Heart of Cascadia” for CDA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
tedassur
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Oregon Brew Crew Announces New Homebrew Competition, The “Heart of Cascadia” for CDA

Portland, OR - Attention all homebrewers! The Oregon Brew Crew (OBC) homebrewing club is excited to announce its first Heart of Cascadia CDA Homebrew Competition sponsored by Brew Brothers Homebrew Products. A BJCP (BJCP.org) Sanctioned competition, the Heart of Cascadia is open to entries from all national and international homebrewers.

Cascadian Dark Ales (CDAs) are a decidedly Northwest take on an emerging style with various names. “Black” IPA’s, India “Dark” Ales, American-Style India Black Ale are all names you've probably heard. CDAs are dark, with a mild roast character, and dominant hop nose and flavor. The CDA takes it up a notch and highlights the Northwest hop drive and flavors.

The Heart of Cascadia is an expansion of the club’s Fall Classic competition, where the Cascadian Dark Ale has been featured as a special style for the last two years. Due to the popularity of the style, the OBC has decided to host a competition to raise awareness of CDAs and the local roots of this style.

Registration is available on the OBC website, www.oregonbrewcrew.org/heart-of-cascadia. The entry fee is only $7 per beer.

All entries are due by April 12, 2013. Drop off locations include FH Steinbart in Portland, and Brew Brothers in Hillsboro. Check out the website for the full list of drop-off sites.

Judging will be held April 20, and the winner will be announced that afternoon. Entries will be judged based on the proposed BJCP style guidelines. Guidelines and judging location are listed on the club website. This competition will follow all AHA/BJCP rules, available at http://www.bjcp.org/rules.php.

The winner will receive a $150 gift certificate from Brew Brothers and a personalized commemorative glass.

For questions or more information, send an email to competition@oregonbrewcrew.org.

Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, the Oregon Brew Crew is one of the oldest and largest home brewing clubs in the United States. We are a non-profit organization dedicated to the education and advancement of home brewing and beer appreciation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm brewing mine for this competition this weekend!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
crushingblackdoom
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Dry hopped mine today.
Already it's F'n FANTASTIC!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
porky_pine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I'm gonna dry hop mine in a week but I'm worried it might lose too much hop aroma by the competition. I think I might brew another one just in case.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Brewed mine yesterday, by far the most hops I've used in a brew. But the hoppiest so far is only an APA so....
This will be my first dry hopping experience too, well this and a Cal Common I'm doing at the same time.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
tedassur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome news everyone!

In case you missed it on the website, Buckman Botanical Brewing has agreed to brew the winning recipe on their 15bbl system for a release throughout Portland later this year!

Also, Brew Brothers is promoting this competition in their national ads in homebrew magazines. I'm excited to see some attempts at stealing the Heart of Cascadia by someone from Philadelphia, or heck, Hungary! Show us how it's done!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedassur View Post
Awesome news everyone!

In case you missed it on the website, Buckman Botanical Brewing has agreed to brew the winning recipe on their 15bbl system for a release throughout Portland later this year!

Also, Brew Brothers is promoting this competition in their national ads in homebrew magazines. I'm excited to see some attempts at stealing the Heart of Cascadia by someone from Philadelphia, or heck, Hungary! Show us how it's done!
Nice!

"Homebrewing to cut costs on my obsessive tailgating habit."
Car Detailing, Headlight Restoration, Windshield Chip Repair, Odor Removal, Engine Steam Cleaning all in Beaverton, Portland, OR

Old 04-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
andy12985
Recipes 

Just an FYI entrys are due today.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

bottled mine last night

"Homebrewing to cut costs on my obsessive tailgating habit."
Car Detailing, Headlight Restoration, Windshield Chip Repair, Odor Removal, Engine Steam Cleaning all in Beaverton, Portland, OR

Old 04-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #10
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I am in it. I saw there were 70 paid and received entries. Should be a healthy competition. Judging starts at Green Dragon at 8:55AM and is expected to be complete sometime around noon, possibly as late as 4PM.

Anyone attending?

-Retired Homebrewer

Quick Reply